Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players we SINGED who turned out to be better than expected

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Bridcutt would be one I haven't seen mentioned yet. Arrived as a free agent having been let go by Chelsea following a few uninspiring loan spells in the lower leagues, ended up becoming a regular first teamer in the L1 title winning season (inc. couple of very memorable long-range goals) and then was arguably our stand-out DM of the most recent Championship era. Surprised he's never really managed to replicate his success with us anywhere else - despite being an obvious "Poyet pet".

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Danny Welbeck and – to a lesser extent – Adam Lallana.

I read on numerous occasions that they were sicknotes and would spend ALL their time on the injury bench. The former has destroyed that assumption and they both seem to be well liked and respected, helping players both on and off the pitch.

I reckon the same will be true, in time, for Milner. It's *almost* as if the club knows what it is doing...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Pascal without a doubt, coming from a relegated Bundesliga team, I thought he was a punt at best, a bit part player who was here to fill out the squad and would be gone after a season.

How bloody wrong was I....

He has been immense since he arrived, and rather than form dropping off and being gone after a season, he has gone from strength to strength, I absolutely love the guy.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Groß is the obvious answer and would be the one think of first but would also add in Adam Virgo who at no point when signing did we think would become our main championship striker that we would then go on to shift for over a million quid.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Kishishev - thought we were getting some old ringer in as he slid down the leagues. And in a way that’s true… but he was absolutely superb for us and was crucial in our promotion. Exactly what the team needed and looked so classy at that level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here