Sarmiento 7 - exciting brief cameo
Locadia n/a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thanks, appreciate that.

Out of interest, JC and Warren were raving about Turns on the commentary so I was expecting a higher rating for him, you weren't quite as impressed then?

Turns was very steady. String on the ball, good passes.

I was disappointed with Roberts, who was ball watching in the first half (a lot). Played better in the second half.

Taylor Richards played very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Random observations:
Taylor-Richards has some incredible close control and looked to be a good outlet on the right side of midfield.
Steele produced a couple of incredible reaction saves but also made a couple of basic errors that were nearly very costly. I can see why he's a professional goalkeeper but also why he isn't starting anywhere.
Moder and Mac Allister both look class in midfield and were the difference between the two sides.
Lamptey looked solid and confident, only had a couple of bursts of speed but will take confidence from getting competitive minutes under his belt.
Sariemento looks like he has bags of pace, skill and energy. If he can be coached to be stronger in possession and learn when to release the ball he'll be one hell of a player.
The youngsters Turns, Leonard and Roberts didn't put a foot wrong and all looked like they have decent careers ahead of them. Whether that is in the Premier League, only time will tell. They all looked very assured.
Connolly looked like Connolly and produced a performance that makes you realise why the club sticks with him. He seemed to show an improvement in staying on his feet.
Dan Burn was the player who glued everything together. He won every lose ball on the ground and in the air, organised everyone and went about his work with little fuss. A most underrated player and my man of the match.
Pascal Gross produced a no nonsense solid performance at right wing back to replace Lamptey at half time.

In other news....
I took a Pompey supporting mate who I went to Fratton Park with the night before to see them play Plymouth in a game of third division hoofball, in a tired old ground with fans around us at Portsmouth who were booing taking the knee.

It was an eye opener for him to see our fantastic facilities and the quality of young players on show.
He asked how many of our side had started on Saturday against Leicester. I was able to tell him 'none' and then point out to him our full internationals in our Midweek XI from Poland, Argentina, Ireland and Colombia, and adding that we also have full internationals from Ecuador and Senegal out on loan.
What a time to be an Albion fan! Thank you TB.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Steele 6
Lamptey 6
Roberts 6
Turns 7
Burn 6
Moder 6
Alzate 6
Leonard 6
Richards 7
MacAllister 8
Connolly 8

Gross 6
Sarmiento 7
Locadia 6

I thought we played fine but this could easily been a defeat if Swansea had taken their great chances. The difference was two great assists from Mac Allister and two sumptuous finishes from Connolly.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
Richards was excellent, always a willing outlet and looked lively throughout - a real talent. Agree with a previous post about how Sarmiento looked like a young Ronaldo over the first 10 yards - gilded across the Turf.

Turns and Leonard looked bloody marvellous too honest. Hugely impressed with them. I think a number of that team are nearly oven ready for the first team

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not sure how you give Steele the same as Lamptey! Steele's error nearly (and probably should have) cost us a goal.

For the quite simple reason that he made (at least) two crucial saves that prevented us conceding two goals :thumbsup:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Random observations:
Taylor-Richards has some incredible close control and looked to be a good outlet on the right side of midfield.
Steele produced a couple of incredible reaction saves but also made a couple of basic errors that were nearly very costly. I can see why he's a professional goalkeeper but also why he isn't starting anywhere.
Moder and Mac Allister both look class in midfield and were the difference between the two sides.
Lamptey looked solid and confident, only had a couple of bursts of speed but will take confidence from getting competitive minutes under his belt.
Sariemento looks like he has bags of pace, skill and energy. If he can be coached to be stronger in possession and learn when to release the ball he'll be one hell of a player.
The youngsters Turns, Leonard and Roberts didn't put a foot wrong and all looked like they have decent careers ahead of them. Whether that is in the Premier League, only time will tell. They all looked very assured.
Connolly looked like Connolly and produced a performance that makes you realise why the club sticks with him. He seemed to show an improvement in staying on his feet.
Dan Burn was the player who glued everything together. He won every lose ball on the ground and in the air, organised everyone and went about his work with little fuss. A most underrated player and my man of the match.
Pascal Gross produced a no nonsense solid performance at right wing back to replace Lamptey at half time.

In other news....
I took a Pompey supporting mate who I went to Fratton Park with the night before to see them play Plymouth in a game of third division hoofball, in a tired old ground with fans around us at Portsmouth who were booing taking the knee.

It was an eye opener for him to see our fantastic facilities and the quality of young players on show.
He asked how many of our side had started on Saturday against Leicester. I was able to tell him 'none' and then point out to him our full internationals in our Midweek XI from Poland, Argentina, Ireland and Colombia, and adding that we also have full internationals from Ecuador and Senegal out on loan.
What a time to be an Albion fan! Thank you TB.

Couldn't agree more. I thought Burn was quite clearly the best player on the pitch over the course of the 90 minutes, which was great to see. Would still prefer him to play at CB and not wing back in the league though!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn’t watch the game, but totally disagree with the OP’s player ratings.

I didn’t either. I’m still working out who the SCAPEGOAT will be before giving my ratings. Connolly put a spanner in the works by scoring two goals, March wasn’t playing and Stephens is long gone.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Frustrating game. Too many misplaced passes. But the win was just about deserved.

Who is Turns? I'd never heard of him. Same for Sarmiento who looked very lively, and quick.

Great to see Locadia get such a warm reception from the fans. Unexpected, but a very positive.

Turns is a local lad (Hassocks, I think) who's been with the club since he was 12. Made the jump from u18 to u23 last year.

Sarmiento signed this year, having spent the previous 3 seasons at Benfica. Born in Spain to Ecuadorian parents, he moved to England at a young age with his family and came through the ranks at Charlton. Apparently, the likes of Bayern and Barca were interested but we offered a better pathway. One to watch.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I didn’t either. I’m still working out who the SCAPEGOAT will be before giving my ratings. Connolly put a spanner in the works by scoring two goals, March wasn’t playing and Stephens is long gone.

I was hoping it was Turns turn to get slated, I don’t know how many more chances our soft fanbase will give the time-waster.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Turns is a local lad (Hassocks, I think) who's been with the club since he was 12. Made the jump from u18 to u23 last year.

Sarmiento signed this year, having spent the previous 3 seasons at Benfica. Born in Spain to Ecuadorian parents, he moved to England at a young age with his family and came through the ranks at Charlton. Apparently, the likes of Bayern and Barca were interested but we offered a better pathway. One to watch.

Thank you. Very interesting.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
For the quite simple reason that he made (at least) two crucial saves that prevented us conceding two goals :thumbsup:

Absolutely.

In fact I would say that it feels some of us seem overwhelmed just to see Lamptey live. I actually felt (naturally), he was easing himself in, and not deliberately overstretching, and in fact just did what was expected.

Steele on the other hand other than that bizarre pass in the second half, as you say kept us in the game, handled the ball well and generally gave everyone confidence around him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here