Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings Brighton vs Burnley

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Mac played well 6 maybe 7

The rest 3 for teamwork and a maximum of 4 individually.

Potter 2

We better be up for it next week. . . .based on yesterdays Conference standard I can't see many points in the bag over the next month or so. Ctrl Alt delete please.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Our central defence has looked pretty weak since BDB left. Spurs scored 3 and could have had 6 against Dunk and Webster.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Robert Sanchez 6 - He was unlucky with their 2nd and not really at fault for the other two.
Tariq Lamptey 6 - I am getting a little concerned about him. Doesn't seem to be able to beat his man unless running onto a through ball played behind the defender. Passes backwards too often.
Joel Veltman 5 - Played in so many positions it's a wonder he does as well. Not a good day for him though.
Shane Duffy 4 - Poor performance. Roberts should have played as Shane did nothing to justify his selection.
Marc Cucurella 6- Poor by his usual standards. I suppose he has to be allowed an off day.
Yves Bissouma 4 - Can we have the real Yves back please? Gave the ball away and has not been up to the standard of December sin.ce the transfer rumours and bids
Adam Lallana 6 - Great player terrible finisher.
Jakub Moder 5 -He has been really good recently but poor yesterday.
Alexis Mac Allister 7 - I think this is Lallana's replacement and we need a player to take over his role.
Danny Welbeck 5 - No service.
Neal Maupay 6 - Worked hard and it was a shame that he caught his shot on the boot instead of the shin :)
Subs
Solly March 6 - Made a difference but crosses are inconsistent.
Leandro Trossard 5 - Didn't change a bad day into an average one sadly.
Evan Ferguson Needs more time on the pitch to show what he can do at this level.

A very poor performance. I just hope we can put this behind us and move on and this doesn't start a downward spiral.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Robert Sanchez 6 - He was unlucky with their 2nd and not really at fault for the other two.
Tariq Lamptey 6 - I am getting a little concerned about him. Doesn't seem to be able to beat his man unless running onto a through ball played behind the defender. Passes backwards too often.
Joel Veltman 5 - Played in so many positions it's a wonder he does as well. Not a good day for him though.
Shane Duffy 4 - Poor performance. Roberts should have played as Shane did nothing to justify his selection.
Marc Cucurella 6- Poor by his usual standards. I suppose he has to be allowed an off day.
Yves Bissouma 4 - Can we have the real Yves back please? Gave the ball away and has not been up to the standard of December sin.ce the transfer rumours and bids
Alexis Mac Allister 7 - I think this is Lallana's replacement and we need a player to take over his role.
Neal Maupay 6 - Worked hard and it was a shame that he caught his shot on the boot instead of the shin :)
Subs
Evan Ferguson Needs more time on the pitch to show what he can do at this level.

A very poor performance. I just hope we can put this behind us and move on and this doesn't start a downward spiral.

What was surprising was that neither Cucurella or Lamptey used their pace for any real purpose. Every time they got into the final 3rd, the ball was back with Veltman or Duffy within seconds. March at least drove forwards and tried to get into the box a few times but there seemed very few attack minded moves during the second half and I don not like Cucurella as a LCB at all.

Still, bad day against a team that's far better than their league position shows.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Robert Sanchez 5 - letting ball roll between his legs not his best game
Tariq Lamptey 6 - unable to get forward as the two centre backs were under to much pressure
Joel Veltman 5 - after so many good games struggled partially from Weghorst who looks a bargain
Shane Duffy 4 - really poor game like to see passion but not against team mates
Marc Cucurella 5 - like the rest of the team he struggled
Yves Bissouma 4 - worst game for ages
Adam Lallana 5 - poor game heading lessons required
Jakub Moder 5 - poor game
Alexis Mac Allister 7 - MOM
Danny Welbeck 5 - hardly any chances given or made
Neal Maupay 6 - little service
Subs
Solly March 6 - brought some urgency but we never got going
Leandro Trossard 5 - to little to late
Evan Ferguson 5 - great to see him get his first prem start

While we were poor Burnley looked good much better than their position indicates and in the German Weghorst I think they can claw themselves out of trouble

Largely agree with this assessment.

(Apart from Weghorst being German)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The BBC you speak of could possibly be the Burnley Boys Club. :shrug:

Maybe but not sure if they would be that bothered, rangers I understand doing a wind up.

I didn't go and the stream was very poor so I could only judge on what I heard via radio and think Warren seemed to think that Sanchez instigated it either way he let it get to him for the second and third.....

Think Duffy should have just let it ride BUT to be fair to him he is more likely to lose out in any decisions made by the club & Potter about eithers future..

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
No one seems to have mentioned the obvious reason that we were so poor yesterday!?

The weather was terrible and Burnley are clearly used to high winds and torrential rain……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In my view Lamptey and Cucurella are not full backs, they are wing backs. If we had played Robert’s at least we would have had the extra defender to cover them trying to get forward. At times we were left three against Veltman and Duffy who are not the best playing together. It seemed that Lamptey and Cucurella were in two minds what to do. Same tactics as Spurs in the cup which did not work. At least he changed it at half time then and went back to a three at the back and we looked better. The whole situation was not helped by everyone player so badly. However, I think the manager must take some blame having made the same mistake so recently and not learning from it when playing such a weak central pairing who have not played together as a pair before. Burnley were up for it and scored three really good goals. Hopefully a lesson learned and we move on and the team feel they owe the fans a performance at home for a change.

Think you're being really harsh on Cucurella here. He exudes class at LB and LWB. I almost agree about Lamptey though, but he can do it with our best CBs playing, which they weren't yesterday. Playing him in a back four is a bit of a waste of his skill set though. Beyond the job lot of them having an off day, yesterday really exposed how dependent we are on the passing and carrying ability of our better CBs: you take that out of the team and we'll struggle.

I don’t care who “gobbed off” first, or who Potter made captain. What Duffy did was unacceptable and unprofessional, it didn’t do anything for our cause and played into Burnley’s hand. If his own game was acceptable then maybe I could reconcile his actions easier…but he played like a pub player, seemed to be distracted most of the time and also argued with a number of our players and could have got a red towards the end. All things considered I will prefer it if he found another club.

lol you don't care about Potter's response? Doesn't that tell us all we need to know about your bluster, inconsistencies and total lack of logic here? Just admit you have a prejudice against Duffy and stop wasting our time pretending you are trying to say anything remotely sensible

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Subs

Fair markings and comments.

With Dunk and Webster back, a very different type of opponent in Villa and following an exceptionally poor performance against Burnley (even everyone on here agrees about that), I'm optimistic about the next match. We don't do consecutive stinkers under Potter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
lol you don't care about Potter's response? Doesn't that tell us all we need to know about your bluster, inconsistencies and total lack of logic here? Just admit you have a prejudice against Duffy and stop wasting our time pretending you are trying to say anything remotely sensible

I have said in a previous post I don’t like Duffy. I don’t have any prejudice towards him at all; I’m merely commenting on what I think of Shane Duffy acting exactly like Shane Duffy last Saturday. If he didn’t behave like this I’d have no reason to comment. Ask yourself this, when was the last time you saw an Albion player push a team mate?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here