Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings BHA v Chelsea - Argus Style

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
I'll agree with you on those ratings. I don't think I've seen a Brighton player perform so consistently brilliantly over 90 mins as Cucurella did yesterday. A joy to watch whether defending or attacking.

Ive seen Bruno do this too - I remember a win at Milton Keynes where he was outstanding the entire match.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Biss, Burn, Lamptey, Mac, Cooch, all fantastic. Really outstanding stuff.

Only downside for me was once again, March. I’d give him a 5 or 6.

I just don’t understand why he has to perform that ridiculous cutback when time and again players are running into the box expecting a low fast cross.

He will do this even though the defender is beaten. And he often slows down play when we have opposition on the back foot.

I have so much time for all the Albion players but I just don’t get March.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Sanchez - 6 - little to do
Lamptey - 7
Cucurella - 9
Veltman - 8
Burn - 7
Bissouma - 9
Lallana - 7
MacAllister - 7
Moder - 6
March - 7
Maupay - 7

Welbeck - 7
Mwepu - 6
Alzate - N/A

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Veltman world class defending when caught out 2-1 he panicked the Chelsea player by going to him and then pulled back who was then caught in two minds and fluffed the pass, excellent.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Telling that a number of different players got MoM in these ratings, shows how well we played as a team, added to that even Lallana and Bissouma had a shot on target in the same game.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Rob Sanchez 8 - not a massive amount to do but did well

Tariq Lamptey 8 - big threat especially in the first half and made sure Alonso could never go forward

Joel Veltman 8 - great

Dan Burn 8 - quality defender, surely everyone must have seen it by now

Marc Cucurella 10 - wow. I think it is the first time I give a 10 to someone (maybe Lamptey or Biss at some point). So many interceptions, threatening runs, won headers, fantastic backtracking, just fantastic throughout the game.

Solly March 8 - helped out well in defense and made plenty of good crosses into dangerous zones

Yves Bissouma 9 - class. Looked tired for the last 20 and lost concentration a few times in those minutes but overall dominated the midfield

Adam Lallana 7 - good playmaking and a real leader

Jakub Moder 7 - good work effort but lost possession quite a few times and while he was fine it wasnt his best game

Alexis Mac Allister 8 - lost some easy balls but also made six or seven dirty good passes and I think he might be on the verge of really breaking into the team now

Neal Maupay 7 - fought well and great movement but not always friends with the ball in the linkup play today

Subs:

Enoch Mwepu 7 - ehrm, not giving anyone a 6 tonight but he wasnt exactly great.

Danny Welbeck and Steven Alzate played too little but both had positive impact (obv especially mr Welbeck).

I would never give anyone a ten personally, always room for improvement however good the performance.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
6 - average

Sanchez - 6 - little to do
Lamptey - 7
Cucurella - 9
Veltman - 8
Burn - 7
Bissouma - 9
Lallana - 7
MacAllister - 7
Moder - 6
March - 7
Maupay - 7

Welbeck - 7
Mwepu - 6
Alzate - N/A

Agree with the 6s. Might up a few of the 7s to 8s (eg Burn, Lamptey, Mac and Welbeck), and maybe Veltman to go even higher. After they scored, we were very, very good.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Depends how you score.

no one will ever get 10 if you are looking for perfect if you are marking down for any mistake e.g. one misplaced pass when some has done 50 good ones...

The aim is to give relative ratings so we can compare performance against an accepted standard so most start with 6 , reduce the mark for poor games and increase it when players play better. When we have a game like yesterday when every one played above the acceptable standard (unless you think otherwise) then we need to use the full 7-10 range to differentiate.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Rob Sanchez 8 - not a massive amount to do but did well

Tariq Lamptey 8 - big threat especially in the first half and made sure Alonso could never go forward

Joel Veltman 8 - great

Dan Burn 8 - quality defender, surely everyone must have seen it by now

Marc Cucurella 10 - wow. I think it is the first time I give a 10 to someone (maybe Lamptey or Biss at some point). So many interceptions, threatening runs, won headers, fantastic backtracking, just fantastic throughout the game.

Solly March 8 - helped out well in defense and made plenty of good crosses into dangerous zones

Yves Bissouma 9 - class. Looked tired for the last 20 and lost concentration a few times in those minutes but overall dominated the midfield

Adam Lallana 7 - good playmaking and a real leader

Jakub Moder 7 - good work effort but lost possession quite a few times and while he was fine it wasnt his best game

Alexis Mac Allister 8 - lost some easy balls but also made six or seven dirty good passes and I think he might be on the verge of really breaking into the team now

Neal Maupay 7 - fought well and great movement but not always friends with the ball in the linkup play today

Subs:

Enoch Mwepu 7 - ehrm, not giving anyone a 6 tonight but he wasnt exactly great.

Danny Welbeck and Steven Alzate played too little but both had positive impact (obv especially mr Welbeck).

I'm with you on the Cucurella 10...like Spinal Tap he should really be 11

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I would never give anyone a ten personally, always room for improvement however good the performance.

The only room for improvement regarding Cucurella's score is to add 5 onto the 1-10 scoring system so with 1-15 there is room for improvement when he scores 11.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Telling that a number of different players got MoM in these ratings, shows how well we played as a team, added to that even Lallana and Bissouma had a shot on target in the same game.
One of the news outlets, I think it was the i gave 7 to every single Brighton player, but higher than any Chelsea player other than Mendy!

But for me I would give it jointly to Burn and Veltman. I thought they were magnificent and really stepped up with Dunk, Duffy and Webster all out

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
no one will ever get 10 if you are looking for perfect if you are marking down for any mistake e.g. one misplaced pass when some has done 50 good ones...

The aim is to give relative ratings so we can compare performance against an accepted standard so most start with 6 , reduce the mark for poor games and increase it when players play better. When we have a game like yesterday when every one played above the acceptable standard (unless you think otherwise) then we need to use the full 7-10 range to differentiate.

You can get close to perfect 9.5 or above.

I don't generally do 0.5's so they would be rounded up. I have previously awarded a 10,but can't remember to whom..... but ultimately it is my choice how I score.

I certainly didn't think either Moder or Sanchez did anything to warrant greater than average.

6 is the recognised industry standard for average, and in fact I know of at least two professional clubs who adopted a similar scoring system in the 80's, scoring out of 5 per half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here