Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Plane with banner over the Goldstone

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Do I remember a plane, toeing a banner, circling over the Goldstone many years ago. Did it say something like 'Bamber out'

Did I see a plane flown over Withdean with a banner saying" DICK OUT " I think the pilot had a passenger in his plane, some bloke called Ernest :)
Anyway, I think I remember this, or some bloke in the pub telling me he thought he remembered it. :p

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did I see a plane flown over Withdean with a banner saying" DICK OUT " I think the pilot had a passenger in his plane, some bloke called Ernest :)
Anyway, I think I remember this, or some bloke in the pub telling me he thought he remembered it. :p

A sad tale that. The pilot took it literally and pushed Ernest out at 10,000 feet.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Now, as with previous posters, my memory is fading as I get older, but back in the 80's an ad was placed in the Argus Classified section , it read something like
Eleven clockwork clowns for sale, all well oiled, some more than others, and gave the telephone number of The Goldstone. I think it was linked to a run of poor results and certain senior players being seen on the razzle. As I say, I can't remember the exact incident or the year it happened, but I know the club weren't best pleased with it. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on it, we thought it was pretty funny at the time.
:lolol:

Inspired by being thrashed 3-0 at home by Oxford United in The Fa Cup in 1983.

Oxford were then a third div club and had just been bailed out by Robert Maxwell!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

Oxford were then a third div club and had just been bailed out by Robert Maxwell!

Ah, that explains it then, you've got a much better memory than me and I obviously didn't go to the game or I'm sure I would have remembered it (bad fan). Mind you it's not as though we haven't got any history with regard to being Knocked out of the FA Cup by lower league clubs, is it. :lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

1983 ? I must have dreamt that cup run !

The banner [MENTION=2393]Uncle C[/MENTION] is talking about was not the one shown above though.

There was a Bamber banner flown over the Goldstone in, I think, the early part of the 1984/85 season with the words 'Bamber out' or something like that.

It was evidence of how some folk didn't get that Albion were still playing at a level above their standard. All a bit silly and a waste of money. Which some West Stand folk had more of than rationale.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

On checking I don't think that's right, FA Cup 82/83 we went to Wembley (I should know, I was there) and 83/84 we were knocked out in the 5th round away to Watford 3-1 on 18/02/04.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

The banner [MENTION=2393]Uncle C[/MENTION] is talking about was not the one shown above though.

There was a Bamber banner flown over the Goldstone in, I think, the early part of the 1984/85 season with the words 'Bamber out' or something like that.

It was evidence of how some folk didn't get that Albion were still playing at a level above their standard. All a bit silly and a waste of money. Which some West Stand folk had more of than rationale.

Too many sherberts! I meant 1982 of course!!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Q4BC30t1sUECofG2fdcY5w_r.jpg
Or
M4d2rQ6_ye_BU7zLNxyR7g_r.jpg

Make your mind up old bean :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here