Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] PL 2022/23 Expectation vs Reality Table

Sep 29, 2017
Portslade
So we were 1st in the expectation table before this season started?!
Another thing somebody's going to have to explain to me is this bizarre bit if journalism
'Despite their huge financial backing from Saudi Arabia, a place in the top four and Champions League football came ahead of schedule for Eddie Howe's side'.
Because expected top 4 heavyweights Liverpool and Chelsea had poor seasons and Newcastle had planned for Champs League next year? Only reason I can think to explain that. Given the cash spent, I can only assume Europa League was the aim this year with another summer to flash the cash before a push for Champions League football after a season in Europa to acclimatise.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
So we were 1st in the expectation table before this season started?!
Another thing somebody's going to have to explain to me is this bizarre bit if journalism
'Despite their huge financial backing from Saudi Arabia, a place in the top four and Champions League football came ahead of schedule for Eddie Howe's side'.
I think it's done on how we fared compared to their pre-season prediction. As in, we exceeded expectations the most.

Agree it's confusing.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Very confusing. Surely Fulham, Forest and Brentford should be top as they exceeded what any pundits expected, probably most of their fans too.

Chelsea bottom makes sense. No one would have predicted for them to finish in the bottom half of the table, although almost everyone would have wished for it!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I thought we’d finish 4th, even had a bet on it. However, never expected Potter to f*** off or RDZ to be so transformational. Football eh. f***ing football.

Because expected top 4 heavyweights Liverpool and Chelsea had poor seasons and Newcastle had planned for Champs League next year? Only reason I can think to explain that. Given the cash spent, I can only assume Europa League was the aim this year with another summer to flash the cash before a push for Champions League football after a season in Europa to acclimatise.
The first sentence implies that the "huge financial backing from Saudi Arabia" was somehow detrimental!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
True to form, Crystal Palace even managed to finish 11th in this table.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
He's put Man City 8th, but surely they should be 10th/11th in the table. They finished exactly where nearly everyone expected them to finish. It was the single most predictable thing that happened. Chelsea is correct in last place,but Liverpool and Tottenham badly underperformed and should be down the bottom as well. Leeds and Southampton should be closer to mid table as they were clearly going to struggle this year. West Ham and Leicester were more of a surprise and are rightfully near the bottom. Fulham should be higher, I suspect most people assumed they would be on the yo-yo again

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
They haven't explained it here, but I think I read elsewhere they calculate the difference between the expected points at the start of the year vs the actual points at the end. Then teams are then ranked by that points difference. So it's not how wrong the predicted position was, it's how wrong the predicted points total was.

So say they predicted us to get 40 points and we got 62 our score is +22. Say they predicted Man City to get 90 and they got 89, their score is -1. Say they predicted Chelsea to get 70 and they got 44, their score is -26.That's how City can end up in 8th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here