Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Pistachio nuts

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Rather like them but to buy them pre-shelled is expensive, no idea why.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very nice. Crush a load of pistachios, add olive oil, salt and pepper and fresh basil, mix it all up and toss fresh spaghetti in it. A simple but amazing dish.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My memories of late 70's, early 80's holidays is being on a deserted Mediterranean beach, picking up your bamboo mat for the walk back into town (or village) leaving a little pile of Pistachio nut shells behind you. Big part of being on holiday. Huge bags of pistachios for peanuts :wink:

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A stubborn pistachio is annoying indeed but it the recalcitrant walnut is the true scourge of society.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just ate a bag of marmite cashews :love:
At my last poker night of 2023 a side conversation started around what was the best nut. Obviously me and another Brighton STH said cashew at the same time.

Marmite might just take it beyond Premier League winner to World Cup champ. Where does one purchase these? Definitely not asking for a friend.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At my last poker night of 2023 a side conversation started around what was the best nut. Obviously me and another Brighton STH said cashew at the same time.

Marmite might just take it beyond Premier League winner to World Cup champ. Where does one purchase these? Definitely not asking for a friend.
Pretty much any big supermarket. They are beyond magnificent

Attachments

• IMG_6554.jpeg
    IMG_6554.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I once opened a bag of pistachios and discovered, in the first shell, what I later found out to be a dead moth larva, or navel orangeworm.

Upon inspection, several of the nuts contained these dead insect larva. A call to the supermarket helpline confirmed that dead bugs are very common and not grounds for a replacement.

Needless to say, I never eat pistachios in the dark any more.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
My daughter uses a shell to prize open the stubborn ones, How i've gone 40 years without knowing this life hack only to be taught it by a 7 year old I don't know!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here