Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Periodic reduction of lots of Amazon gadgets

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
First published June 1949. That’s a good memory. :thumbsup:

Ok, so perhaps I wasn’t reading a first edition. It was new to me. I seem to remember it was set as a school book (which seems a bit mad now - our teachers clearly fearing the future, or having their own theories on where our current system of government might lead)

I definitely remember the class was asked to discuss the surveillance aspect , and there was pretty universal agreement that “up with this we would not put” - something now clearly proven false.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Ok, so perhaps I wasn’t reading a first edition. It was new to me. I seem to remember it was set as a school book (which seems a bit mad now - our teachers clearly fearing the future, or having their own theories on where our current system of government might lead)

I definitely remember the class was asked to discuss the surveillance aspect , and there was pretty universal agreement that “up with this we would not put” - something now clearly proven false.

Brilliant book, but I think it was more about what a totalitarian government would look like rather than where technology will lead us. Not sure Orwell was anti technology, but he was certainly against totalitarianism.

What is probably imho more profound than surveillance is truth and the ability of governments to tell lies and re-write them as truth. 1984 was a warning, not abouttechnology, but the danger to all democracies of allowing a totalitarian regime to take control. Technology isn’t the issue, who wields it is.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Brilliant book, but I think it was more about what a totalitarian government would look like rather than where technology will lead us. Not sure Orwell was anti technology, but he was certainly against totalitarianism.

What is probably imho more profound than surveillance is truth and the ability of governments to tell lies and re-write them as truth. 1984 was a warning, not abouttechnology, but the danger to all democracies of allowing a totalitarian regime to take control. Technology isn’t the issue, who wields it is.

I totally agree, technology facilitates, but is not inherently good or bad. At present the weaknesses in modern technology seem mostly exploited for corporate espionage.

I’m going to shut up now, we seem to have drifted a long way from the OP’s original post.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I totally agree, technology facilitates, but is not inherently good or bad. At present the weaknesses in modern technology seem mostly exploited for corporate espionage.

I’m going to shut up now, we seem to have drifted a long way from the OP’s original post.

Given Amazon started as a bookshop - it's surely fine to discuss books? Nothing like a good dystopian novel in my opinion. If you liked 1984, then Yevgeny Zamyatin's 'We' is well worth a read, arguably the blueprint for Brave New World, 1984, Logan's Run etc.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Given Amazon started as a bookshop - it's surely fine to discuss books? Nothing like a good dystopian novel in my opinion. If you liked 1984, then Yevgeny Zamyatin's 'We' is well worth a read, arguably the blueprint for Brave New World, 1984, Logan's Run etc.

You're right, obviously, but I think most people will be checking this thread for best value tech, and I might add it's also their Warehouse Bargains week for Open Box and Returned Items with 30% mark downs.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Nice one, was only thinking this morning next time the Blink mini are reduced I'll get a couple more.

I was leant a Furbo to keep an eye on the dog and now she wants it back. Furbo.....Terrible bit of kit for the money. The Blink mini does everything it does except for toss a treat out which doesn't work half the time as the mechanism gets jammed. That combined with it being a ball ache to setup and needs rebooting every so often when not responsive I really wouldn't recommend. Oh and its massive. The Blink minis are a little bigger than a golf ball and 1/10th of the price.

I've just bought one of these off the back of this. I just want to check if the dog is alright when we are out and about - which at the moment is never - and I can't believe the price as everything else is well into 3 figures. That said, this has unimpressed the wife who has reviewed it before it has even turned up as "wasting money on more shit"

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Come on, you BLATANTLY mean when the MOVIE came out.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I've just bought one of these off the back of this. I just want to check if the dog is alright when we are out and about - which at the moment is never - and I can't believe the price as everything else is well into 3 figures. That said, this has unimpressed the wife who has reviewed it before it has even turned up as "wasting money on more shit"

We’ve not really been having many opportunities to leave our now 1 year old pup on his own! Didn’t think of one of these. Might have to see if it’s worth watching him howl the place down while we’re out! :lolol:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I have two Blink minis at the moment (and two more coming today). I also have the Furbo as previously mentioned and Ring Doorbell and Ring outdoor cam out the back.

The Blink mini cameras are as good if not better than all of them to be honest. The software is the least buggy out of the 3 that is for sure.

For 26 quid you really can't grumble. My only negative is they are hard wired for power, but if that was a real issue then you just pay the extra bit and buy the battery version. And its via micro USB so for the two I have currently I just paid another fiver for a 5m micro USB cable as I have them mounted up high.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I now want to be able to monitor my dog when I'm allowed to leave home again, but I fear I'll spend £26 to just see him sleeping all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here