[Albion] Penultimate home game at the Goldstone

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
25 years ago today, an edgy 1-0 win against Wigan:

7CB02FBC-B396-415E-A2ED-E7E99B42E75B.jpeg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That was the last time I went to the ground. I seem to recall it was Craig Maskell with the winner.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Didn’t Wigan also go up that season as Champions?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
That whole run of games were agonising, nerve shredders. I reckon I aged a decade that year

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Wigan did indeed go up as champions as the Whelan bus started its push towards the Premier League…

Wigan only elected back into the league in 1977 were to me a low level northern league team, that we were superior too.
Made worse that I had lived their for a five years from 82-86 my last years at school which I left in 85.
I went occasionally to Springfield Park to get my football fix, when I couldn’t get to see the Albion playing locally up north or in the midlands.

How could they be on the rise, just how could this club that spanked Liverpool 2-0 one fine crispy Sunday in the FA Cup be on the slide.

I traveled down from Camden for this game, and boy did we push our luck, but thankfully a smidgin of pride was restored in my heart that day.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
LOL at unmarked Mayo flapping his arms around on the edge of the box at a corner, fully expecting to smash a left foot volley into the top corner. What a time.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Wigan did indeed go up as champions as the Whelan bus started its push towards the Premier League…

Wigan only elected back into the league in 1977 were to me a low level northern league team, that we were superior too.
Made worse that I had lived their for a five years from 82-86 my last years at school which I left in 85.
I went occasionally to Springfield Park to get my football fix, when I couldn’t get to see the Albion playing locally up north or in the midlands.

How could they be on the rise, just how could this club that spanked Liverpool 2-0 one fine crispy Sunday in the FA Cup be on the slide.

I traveled down from Camden for this game, and boy did we push our luck, but thankfully a smidgin of pride was restored in my heart that day.

This was my last visit to the ground and it was an incredibly nerve wracking experience! I went to it sure we would lose and remember thinking during the game how much better they were. Somehow we did it though, good header from Maskell and sheer joy at the end!

I had a soft spot for Wigan for years after this game too. Towards the end of the second half the Wigan fans started singing “Good luck to the Albion” which I thought was really classy at the time after all the shit we’d had to put up with as fans that season.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Great memories - although it didn't seem so at the time.
Craig maskell unsung hero .
Jeff Minton was outstanding that day.i think Wigan were top at the time.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
2.32 on the video…goosebumps

Indeed, proud to say I was in there with my arms aloft and singing away, holding back tears.
Not knowing if I’d get a ticket for the last game, at the Goldstone or at Hereford and if this was the last time I’d ever see them play in the football league.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Indeed, proud to say I was in there with my arms aloft and singing away, holding back tears.
Not knowing if I’d get a ticket for the last game, at the Goldstone or at Hereford and if this was the last time I’d ever see them play in the football league.

I was also there in the North Stand.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thought that would be my last Goldstone game but was fortunate to be able to get a ticket to the Donny game. Stood on a forlorn looking east terrace not far from where I stood for my first game on 31/1/78. I too remember the Wigan fans being very gracious and supportive.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
my last game there, but also my first ever seat in the south stand - was in absolute pole position for the goal

lingered long at the final whistle, as quite a few did, knowing it was the end...someone chopping onions?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
My first ever Albion game, Dad wanted to take me to see a game before the Goldstone ground was gone, & its what got me hooked.

A few years back I then found this fan recorded video of the game on youtube, the guy filming must have been so close to where Dad & I were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSP1-PHhn50&t=301s

Wow, thanks for that. Never seen it. Like a lot of people have said, was my last ever game at the Goldstone.
That rendition of 'We are Brighton' is pretty special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here