Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Penalty?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
These should never ever be given as penalties.

But they are penalties under the current laws. We've had much less clear cut against us, so let's have one for ourselves please

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Having now watched Sky's Ref Watch I'm going to change my view. Whilst none of us like the mess that is handball at the moment and the inconsistency they missed a subtle nuance. As Bogle turns his back there is a distinct movement in his elbow and upper arm. He doesn't turn his back and with the limb is remaining static. He effectively moves his arm out there with a view that it might 'accidentally on purpose' block the cross.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Precisely this.

Against us, that's given.
It just is.
To me, the laws on serious foul play (ie Dahoud) and handball (this incident) should be covered buy the same principle (which, ok i've banged on about on a few threads this week)

Was it a normal action to try to play the ball legitimately?

In this case the defender takes a normal action. He jumps to block the cross, turns his back and the ball happens to hit the bit of arm below his elbow which was sticking out. But the point, being, that is a normal jump for what he was trying to do. If the lad was doing star jumps to make himself as big as possible and it hits him, penalty.

Too many laws being decided by those who've never played

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
To me, the laws on serious foul play (ie Dahoud) and handball (this incident) should be covered buy the same principle (which, ok i've banged on about on a few threads this week)

Was it a normal action to try to play the ball legitimately?

In this case the defender takes a normal action. He jumps to block the cross, turns his back and the ball happens to hit the bit of arm below his elbow which was sticking out. But the point, being, that is a normal jump for what he was trying to do. If the lad was doing star jumps to make himself as big as possible and it hits him, penalty.

Too many laws being decided by those who've never played
We all agree with the principle, however that isn't the way the laws are being applied currently.

The current model doesn't provide consistency.
Sometimes VAR officials make decisions based on what they are looking at (still of a dangerous tackle) and other times they are assessing whether the ref's/lino's decision is reasonable, given the circumstances.

It's a mess.

Time for IFAB to do a full and thorough review of the laws based on the technology now available.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It’s a stone wall penalty in the current rules but the current rules are shit.
I agree with this. I thought it was a penalty. But a really shit and unjust penalty to potentially win a game with.

monkeymz

Sep 27, 2011
similar 1 in another was given unfortunately its down to the ref in charge and not the letterr of the rules

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Definite penalty.. While we're on it, if he'd given the clear foul on Gilmour we don't get a man sent off

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We all agree with the principle, however that isn't the way the laws are being applied currently.

The current model doesn't provide consistency.
Sometimes VAR officials make decisions based on what they are looking at (still of a dangerous tackle) and other times they are assessing whether the ref's/lino's decision is reasonable, given the circumstances.

It's a mess.

Time for IFAB to do a full and thorough review of the laws based on the technology now available.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpeg
    IMG_0274.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 25

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here