Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Paypal advice

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Mrs DS is selling a bose speaker on facebook market place and has someone interested. She said she would need payment first and received a reply in literally a second that asked for the PayPal e mail. The reply was so quick it almost seemed impossible to have typed it that quickly so she is very wary.

Can people scam you once they have your paypal email? Any thoughts appreciated

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I highly doubt that they will be able to scam you just by giving your email, however the issue with Paypal can be that they offer buyer protection, so if the buyer insists on being issued with an invoice via the sales route, they could theoretically pick up the speaker, then contact Paypal saying they never received goods and try to claim money back.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Not sure how that works?

Can you get scammed on PayPal friends and family?

PayPal classifies the Friends and Family transactions as non-refundable, so scammers rely on keeping your funds after the fact and will always do their best to sway you to use this payment type. It's best to use the Friends and Family functionality only for transferring funds to your close contacts.

You are basically reverse-scamming, but you're not as you're honest.

You've two ways of doing this.

1) Give them your paypal (email) address and insist on a F&F payment.

2) Ask for their email address and send them a F&F payment request.

Either way, they're non-refundable so if they're looking to scam you - they'll fail.

How do I use PayPal friends and family?

Login to your PayPal account.
Click Send & Request.
Under Send money, Enter phone number, email or contact name.
When prompted, select Sending to a friend.
Enter payment amount, add a note (optional) and Submit.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

Can you get scammed on PayPal friends and family?

PayPal classifies the Friends and Family transactions as non-refundable, so scammers rely on keeping your funds after the fact and will always do their best to sway you to use this payment type. It's best to use the Friends and Family functionality only for transferring funds to your close contacts.

You are basically reverse-scamming, but you're not as you're honest.

You've two ways of doing this.

1) Give them your paypal (email) address and insist on a F&F payment.

2) Ask for their email address and send them a F&F payment request.

Either way, they're non-refundable so if they're looking to scam you - they'll fail.

How do I use PayPal friends and family?

Login to your PayPal account.
Click Send & Request.
Under Send money, Enter phone number, email or contact name.
When prompted, select Sending to a friend.
Enter payment amount, add a note (optional) and Submit.

Thanks, great advice

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Insist on a 'Friends & Family' payment as 'money owed'. If it's a scam, they'll walk away.

Not sure how that works?

As a regular user of PayPal my suggestion is to Insist on them paying for ‘goods and services’, yes you’ll pay a small fee, but you and they will be protected end to end. You take the payment, PayPal embargo the money, You post the item with recorded/ special delivery and when they receive the goods the tracking is updated and you receive the payment.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Definitely post recorded delivery.

On ebay, check the feed back of the purchaser, less than 15 and only been on it for a few weeks, avoid as likely to scam you by saying it never arrived, broken etc.. So even if you get the money from PP, they will pull it out of your bank account.

Personally when I've sold stuff on eBay, I say it's got to be 20+ positive feedbacks, no negative and had an ebay account for 6 months or longer.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

On ebay, check the feed back of the purchaser, less than 15 and only been on it for a few weeks, avoid as likely to scam you by saying it never arrived, broken etc.. So even if you get the money from PP, they will pull it out of your bank account.

Personally when I've sold stuff on eBay, I say it's got to be 20+ positive feedbacks, no negative and had an ebay account for 6 months or longer.

Not sure they can just pull money off you without it going through a 'dispute' and if you have sent it recorded delivery then that should be enough evidence. I have sold and bought a fair bit on ebay using PP and have had no scamming issues. I will only pay as 'goods and services' as that offers a bit more redress should something go wrong.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I turn over about half a million a year on eBay and PayPal. Trust me - even when something is 'Signed For', and the receiver denies it was them, they'll get their money back...

F&F is your safest bet, or a bank transfer...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I almost always use Royal Mail Signed For in sending items, even if low value sales. I’ve sometimes taken a few pics of items being packaged up as evidence of final undamaged condition. If it’s something fairly fragile and the buyer insists on using a courier, it’s made plain that it’s their courier at their risk.

I mention every imperfection …. after incidents with a couple of extremely fussy buyers years ago.

Plain sailing since.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I almost always use Royal Mail Signed For in sending items, even if low value sales. I’ve sometimes taken a few pics of items being packaged up as evidence of final undamaged condition. If it’s something fairly fragile and the buyer insists on using a courier, it’s made plain that it’s their courier at their risk.

I mention every imperfection …. after incidents with a couple of extremely fussy buyers years ago.

Plain sailing since.

100% this, recorded delivery or special delivery, tracked and signed for wherever possible for overseas packages.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
100% this, recorded delivery or special delivery, tracked and signed for wherever possible for overseas packages.

I turned down various buyers from Eastern Europe. They wanted me to “research the carrier cost, which they’d pay in advance”. F*ck that for a game of soldiers.

We’re not traders. We just sometimes have a sort out and sell unwanted bits.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
A vulnerable friend of mine somehow got scammed with Paypal On Gumtree. They basically sent her a fake email from Paypal saying they'd paid the £750 and that the funds will be released once she enters the tracking number of the item. Lost the money and the item. If it's on FB market place they'll probably be local, but if they want it posting then be careful.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I simply wouldn’t post an item sold on Facebook Marketplace - for me that’s just effectively a newspaper ad and I’d expect a face to face transaction. If I wanted more interest and was happy to post, I’d list on eBay where you have feedback and other protections.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
There is also the possibility that the buyer is using a stolen paypal account.
They may overpay "by mistake" and ask for the extra to be refunded via Western Union or somesuch.

I'd not touch it with a barge pole, cash only.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here