Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Paving/Landscaping advice

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Had this done last year - standard job to replace the original cover with one that takes matching slabs.

View attachment 138319

10/10 for neatness.
5/10 for the scratchy slab.

Exactly the same as mine (except mine doesn't have a scratchy slab. Or indeed the unsightly gap around the outside....).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Exactly the same as mine (except mine doesn't have a scratchy slab. Or indeed the unsightly gap around the outside....).

Yeah, but (talking of gaps) I (finally) got my cavity wall insulation installed (free) last week.:lolol:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just had some paving completed for a small patch of grass where eventually a picnic bench will sit.

Unfortunately, at one of end of the strip of grass there is a drain cover. With the remit of making it look as neat as possible this is what the tradesman I employed has come up with as in the photo. He seems to think it's OK whilst I think it looks terrible.

Any tradespeople think I'm being unreasonable? Looks like a botch job to my eyes. What should he have done?View attachment 138315

The existing flaunching around the inspection cover could be removed and pave right up to the edge all the way round, it might need to grind a bit off the back of the slabs to get them down, or as previously suggested get a recessed cover, and fill with matching paving, it will probably mean taking the chamber down a bit though, which I suggest you don't let the guy that has done your paving do.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Laid a few patios in my time and out of nothing more than a little pride in my work, I'd never do anything like that.

Even without changing the manhole cover, there's no reason why the cement around the frame has not been dug away and the slabs cut up to the edge of the frame (except laziness or not got the skills for it).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
meanwhile, back at the Chelsea Flower show . . . . This is the latest craze.

crazy-paving.jpg

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Just had some paving completed for a small patch of grass where eventually a picnic bench will sit.

Unfortunately, at one of end of the strip of grass there is a drain cover. With the remit of making it look as neat as possible this is what the tradesman I employed has come up with as in the photo. He seems to think it's OK whilst I think it looks terrible.

Any tradespeople think I'm being unreasonable? Looks like a botch job to my eyes. What should he have done?View attachment 138315

DB5C5A6A-DE7D-4B08-B3D8-958206FF8657.jpeg I know the blokes wife, she’s a hairdresser.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

I think you have literally got what you paid for, which i sincerely hope you haven’t paid very much for.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
As a keen DIYer, I'd say it's absolutely fine and that is exactly what I'd be saying to my wife as she stood looking at it with her hands on her hips with a face like I'd just told her I'd snogged the barmaid from the pub the previous week....:whistle:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

is it art?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
easily solved, just get his friends round and cover it all over with some of the spare tarmac they will have left over from a job up the road

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here