Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Paul O’Grady - RIP

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Really sad to hear this, loved listening to him on Radio 2 and just seemed a great bloke.

RIP Paul.

Jul 7, 2003
Sad news, I enjoyed him as Lily, especially when he took on the Les Dawson approach to hosting Blankety Blank (still available to watch on Challenge TV). We also went through a stage of putting on his radio show when having our Sunday dinner - the dead pets slot was always a highlight!

The daughter of some friends of mine had some long term illness' and she was on one of his TV shows where he took rescue dogs to the hospital. They said that he was a really nice guy and took a lot of time talking to the kids and parents about the different conditions and treatments they were going through.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When I had an Antique Shop in Rye Julian Clary was a regular customer. He bought a few items that needed delivering. I duly arrived at his house. He offered me a glass of wine and said we'll sit out in the garden as his neighbour was joining him for a drink. Next moment this fence panel opened and Paul O'Grady walked through with 5 dogs. Julian had 3 dogs at the time as well including Fanny the Wonderdog, who by this time blind and nearly deaf.

He was a nice person, RIP

Little fact the cottage Julian Clary lives in was previously owned by Noel Coward. Alan Carr and Vic Reeves also live in the small village of Aldington.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
RIP
Same age as me so a bit worrying.
ps. Shouldn't laugh, but I was awake listening to 5Live at 2:50 am when the news broke. The on air presenter was Dotun Adebayo, who was obviously getting the news through his headphones and not listening to the caller. Fast forward to 1:50:00. Not for kids!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When I had an Antique Shop in Rye Julian Clary was a regular customer. He bought a few items that needed delivering. I duly arrived at his house. He offered me a glass of wine and said we'll sit out in the garden as his neighbour was joining him for a drink. Next moment this fence panel opened and Paul O'Grady walked through with 5 dogs. Julian had 3 dogs at the time as well including Fanny the Wonderdog, who by this time blind and nearly deaf.

He was a nice person, RIP

Little fact the cottage Julian Clary lives in was previously owned by Noel Coward. Alan Carr and Vic Reeves also live in the small village of Aldington.
Now you’re just name dropping 😉

Nice story..thanks

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sad news. In the same way I never liked Michael Portillo as a politician but love him as a TV presenter I was never a fan of O'Grady's comedy, but we absolutely loved his dog programmes. Gentle and heart-warming, just what we needed.

RIP :(
Pretty much this. Life is very precious and l will say R.I.P about anyone who passes away, like you though l found his brand of comedy quite ascerbic, not my thing at all.

That said though, obviously he was loved by many, and has been a doyen in show business for a long time.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Knocked me sideways , always loved the man for his compassion to animals , seemed to have a natural affinity with them - R.I.P.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Will be sadly missed - loved his Radio 2 show, and he sounded a lovely fella

My Uncle, when he retired, moved to the cottage next to him on the edge of Romney Marsh.

Uncle shared a love of animals and had a few items of livestock. They used to keep an eye on each others creatures and dogs and my uncles opinion of him was ..."a damn nice fellow.."

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Raab, standing in for Sunak in PMQT has just paid tribute to 'Paul Grayson' and condemned wokery.

What an absolute melt.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
An exceptionally funny man, many times he had both me and Mrs Crodo in absolute fits of laughter. You can tell what a lovely person he was with the wonderful tributes being paid right across the spectrum.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I always felt that the stereo-typed image of gay comedians and personalities on television did more harm than good to LGBT issues at a time when the press was still rampantly homophobic.

Paul O'Grady seemed to transcend that. He was universally popular and capable of holding an audience through his natural humour. I think his importance will only really be realised after his passing. I thought he was brilliant. Really sad to hear this today because I know he was a comfort to a lot of older folk who loved his shows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here