Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber signs new six-year extension

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
6 more pre season Radio Sussex gatherings to answer why there is slow service for food and beer prior to hoards of students arriving in late September.
I understand one of the conditions of his new contract is that he doesn't have to do Fans' Forums any more. (And by 'understand' I mean I am making it up for possibly humorous effect).

But yes, good news. We've all moaned about him about bottle tops and stuff, but only an idiot would deny the fantastic job he's done.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I know we are lucky to have him, but I always get the feeling that fans are seen just a source of revenue for him.
Very professional, at all times, not a lot of charm or warmth though, and I feel less a part of the Brighton family, more of a not much valued customer, pretty much whenever I hear him speak.
Grips my shit generally, but obviously a big part of the sustainable success path, so good news, that doesn't give me any joy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i think it says a lot that, given we don’t lay out huge wages for players, when you look at the table for the highest paid CEOs, Barber is well up there (think he’s the second highest paid?). obviously there’s differences between that and player wages as when you pay one player more, others will come asking, and i think the CEO positions at the likes of Newcastle and City are artificially deflated, but i still think it speaks to how much TB values him. fantastic that we’ve managed to tie him down. he gets a lot of flak but we couldn’t do what we’re doing without him
I think El Pres shows it is third or fourth. Albeit the Chelsea CEO pays himself more than ten times what number 2 in the list Daniel Levy pays himself. Hilario.

I can't see PBOBE leaving us. He isn't going to replace Levy. And why take the risk of a 'step up'? The pressure of meeting a demand to be in the CL every season and pushing to win serious silverwear every season, when competing with unassailable opposition (Citeh, most probably Liverpool, and very soon again Chelsea and ManUre) and dependent on the manager and players doing their bit, would be........f***ing tedious, frankly. Much more fun at Brighton. And we have the sea and the downs.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is a more important and significant singing than any manager or player. Barber is head and shoulders the best ceo in the business and must have had a lot of interest and big payslips waved in front of him. A Man of Integrity which is rare these days

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Under the limelight? He may as well have a weekly slot on TS. No one goes unnoticed in the PL even the crap players make the headlines for being crap.
I don’t think I could name one other clubs CEO apart from that scary looking lady at Newcastle.
The Newcastle CEO is Darren Eales!

Amanda Staveley is one of the minority owners.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i think it says a lot that, given we don’t lay out huge wages for players, when you look at the table for the highest paid CEOs, Barber is well up there (think he’s the second highest paid?). obviously there’s differences between that and player wages as when you pay one player more, others will come asking, and i think the CEO positions at the likes of Newcastle and City are artificially deflated, but i still think it speaks to how much TB values him. fantastic that we’ve managed to tie him down. he gets a lot of flak but we couldn’t do what we’re doing without him
And yet he is still paid less than the average wage for our first team squad players. (His last announced salary was £2.5m, average first team salary is £60k/wk)

So, despite his worth to the ongoing success of the club, he picks up less (probably) than the likes of Moder, Lamptey, and Webster.

Weird industry.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I know we are lucky to have him, but I always get the feeling that fans are seen just a source of revenue for him.
Very professional, at all times, not a lot of charm or warmth though, and I feel less a part of the Brighton family, more of a not much valued customer, pretty much whenever I hear him speak.
Grips my shit generally, but obviously a big part of the sustainable success path, so good news, that doesn't give me any joy.
Agree but like it or lump it we are consumers now rather than fans. Barber has done and incredible job under the premise set out by Bloom.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agree but like it or lump it we are consumers now rather than fans. Barber has done and incredible job under the premise set out by Bloom.
We are not 'consumers RATHER than fans' at all.

We ARE consumers of the club's product(s).
We ARE customer's of the business.
We ARE fans / supporters of the team / club.

None of these things are exclusive of the others, and a well run club will consider our needs / wants, as each of them.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
We are not 'consumers RATHER than fans' at all.

We ARE consumers of the club's product(s).
We ARE customer's of the business.
We ARE fans / supporters of the team / club.

None of these things are exclusive of the others, and a well run club will consider our needs / wants, as each of them.
ok mate. Im very much seen as a consumer imo. But Im totally OK with it.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
And yet he is still paid less than the average wage for our first team squad players. (His last announced salary was £2.5m, average first team salary is £60k/wk)

So, despite his worth to the ongoing success of the club, he picks up less (probably) than the likes of Moder, Lamptey, and Webster.

Weird industry.
Yes, but I bet he gets plenty of perks, that the players don't get, like not wearing a tie for example.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
PBOBE is the ultimate power behind the throne. If he can reply to a random email from Joe Bloggs-Punter within 30 minutes then he's clearly fully capable of running the club on behalf of TB with one hand tied behind his back. Makes it look easy, which is clearly far from the case. Bravo PBOBE! :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here