Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace / Brighton trouble

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I've been living in a few countries that have hosted England. The vast minority are fine but there always seems to be a largish minority that are just *****.

I think it’s about 10% (although that percentage drops significantly the further you get away from the U.K. as many are too scared, poor or thick to leave Europe). They are the kind of supporter that are members of the Football Lad’s ****fest. Sadly, that’s about 1,000 knuckle draggers once you are getting over 10k England fans.

Having followed England away to World Cups, I can confirm that the other 90% are usually brilliant fans that are the pride of the England team.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Reputation. It’s all about the English reputation.

For years our young went around Europe causing mayhem in so far as our own government has to ban english football from Europe. Every local “ firm” want a go at english fans as it appears that we are the ones that are up for it....we have english fans singing “ no surrender songs” ...why?

We were always known as the country that exported its hooligan problem.

Some have come on here moaning about the local police..what the f do you expect? Do you really think that if a load of Dutch fans came over to London and started to smash up pubs and attacking people , the riot police wouldn’t step in? Of course that wouldn’t happen as most away fans know not to get pissed out of their brains and to want to fight...and lo now we have english football clubs hooligans fighting between themselves...for duck sake....english fans fighting each other!

No one condones the behaviour of Bulgarian fans, far from it. However this racism card is now widely used across Europe as most teams we play have these racist fans...and it seems to be getting worse that better...lets face it, a life long Brighton fan who I see at every game was carted off at the Tottenham game and we have all heard racist comments at games.

Of course the usual subjects on here will say it’s just bantz, but of course we all know it isn’t! I hate to say it but to bring it back to the favourite subject, brexit and trump has enflamed this behaviour! Xenophobia is alive and kicking and all over the world at the moment

I’ve been to countless hundreds of Albion matches since 1976 and have never heard racist remarks or monkey chants. I sit in the NS.

Obviously it does go on. I’d report a racist in a moment.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I’ve been to countless hundreds of Albion matches since 1976 and have never heard racist remarks or monkey chants. I sit in the NS.

I remember Ian Wright getting racially abused from the North Stand at the Goldstone, but that was 30 years ago...

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Alright ... too much crap on this thread. It starts with me because was saying England fans should be banned from travelling. After a sleep, and after watching some seriously out of order Bulgaria fans, I clearly went too far. On the other side, I still think there's too much police blaming. Yes, they are too heavy handed in some places, but if we just went to places and acted in a civilised way, rather than the boorish, we're British we'll do what we like attitude (which many still have), we wouldn't, in time, be getting these massive police presences.

So there has to be a middle ground. There are simple things you can do, One example is to schedule games more sensibly. Prague on a Friday night screams "piss up". The talk of some self policing amongst the fans in encouraging and this needs to continue as this is the answer. If I stepped out of line watching England play rugby away, I'd be dragged back into line much quicker that if I was watching football.

Another couple of points

The sense I get is that a changing drug culture in football is playing a strong part in the increase of football disorder
I also get the impression that the political situation isn't helping. Huge sections of young blokes are getting fed a daily diet of nationalism and anti-Europeanism in the press and their politicians are routinely usually the inflammatory language of war, surrenders, traitors etc. This can't not seep through to people
Don't tar the British label ,because the Tartan Army are angels abroad .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No they don't.

I get that police abroad are on heightened alert and are likely to wade in without much provocation, but lets just calm the hyperbole down a tad. No England fan has ever been stabbed or murdered by the police. This is NSC, not the Mail Online.

Re: stabbing I was talking about the Ultras. Not Police. I was making a point that together Police and Ultras in some countries are a law unto themselves. That’s not hyperbole, that’s fact. And we’ve seen plenty in Bulgarian authority defending or dismissing the racist chanting last night. Like many parents today of unruly children, they take offence at someone else pointing out their bad behaviour rather than simply apologising and dealing with.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

If you have been going since 1976, there is no way you wouldn't have heard those chants at the Goldstone or at away grounds in the 70's & 80's. From memory Ian Wright plus also Noel Blake received considerable abuse in two games. Sadly, racial abuse in those times barely raised an eyebrow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: stabbing I was talking about the Ultras. Not Police. I was making a point that together Police and Ultras in some countries are a law unto themselves. That’s not hyperbole, that’s fact. And we’ve seen plenty in Bulgarian authority defending or dismissing the racist chanting last night. Like many parents today of unruly children, they take offence at someone else pointing out their bad behaviour rather than simply apologising and dealing with.

Well thats not what you said yesterday, which was "The Police, often para military, in these countries love an England visit nearly as much as the local Ultras. They literally have a licence to baton, stab, arrest and even murder without fear of any sort of retribution"

- hence my earlier response. We've all seen riot police wading in indiscriminately and batoning anything that moves, but they cannot be put in the same bracket as the local Ultras.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If you have been going since 1976, there is no way you wouldn't have heard those chants at the Goldstone or at away grounds in the 70's & 80's. As mentioned Ian Wright plus also Noel Blake received considerable abuse one game.

Yep, a banana was thrown at Darren Moore even in our last game at. Remember thinking that was bang out of order despite jeering him obviously for scrapping with Bairdie. Have to say though, I don’t remember any mass racist chants at the goldstone in the 80s or 90s.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well thats not what you said yesterday, which was "The Police, often para military, in these countries love an England visit nearly as much as the local Ultras. They literally have a licence to baton, stab, arrest and even murder without fear of any sort of retribution"

- hence my earlier response. We've all seen riot police wading in indiscriminately and batoning anything that moves, but they cannot be put in the same bracket as the local Ultras.

They - as in together, the police and ultras combined.

Jan 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enfOSFaF2WE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDPeZeHyusA
regards
DF

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Nothing wrong with the flags but English away fans exhibit the behaviour of exceptionalism, a nationalism that thinks we rule the world and are widely superior. Can't we just we patriotic like most other nations?

Suffice to say, this attitude has lead us to where the country is now.
As a nation the country isn’t patriotic you hardly see the St George’s cross anywhere, in fact it’s almost seen as racist flag by some.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here