Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Pa Sorie - who does deserve a mention.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-60301758

Samuel Sorie Sesay, one of a dwindling group of West Africans who fought in the British army in World War Two, died last month in Sierra Leone at the age of 101. Ahead of his funeral on Friday, Umaru Fofana looks back at his life.

His memories were vivid but he felt forgotten.

Celebrating a century of life in 2020 and surrounded by his large family, Pa Sorie, as he was known, was keen to talk.

What a fella :bowdown:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I had no idea so many Africans fought in the British Army in Burma.

This is interesting read too:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8201717.stm

About time some of these tw@ts in Westminster stepped up and do the right thing by acknowledging their commitment and issuing the promised cash and medals. Even posthumously in a lot of the cases. Donate a few quid to one of the Parties or slime your way to being a mate with a policitian and you become a 'sir' or something or other.

Give your youth and risk your life for freedom as part of an army from a country you've never been, and you're swept under the carpet.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

About time some of these tw@ts in Westminster stepped up and do the right thing by acknowledging their commitment and issuing the promised cash and medals. Even posthumously in a lot of the cases. Donate a few quid to one of the Parties or slime your way to being a mate with a policitian and you become a 'sir' or something or other.

Give your youth and risk your life for freedom as part of an army from a country you've never been, and you're swept under the carpet.

I've met a few WW2 veterans in West Africa. They've been thoroughly shat on, financially, especially post independence, and they resent it. But their plight is not a vote winner here and they haven't had a celebrity champion (a la Lumley) and so have been ignored by successive governments. There are many things about this country to be proud of, and also many things to be very ashamed of.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

Twas ever thus I'm sad to say.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've met a few WW2 veterans in West Africa. They've been thoroughly shat on, financially, especially post independence, and they resent it. But their plight is not a vote winner here and they haven't had a celebrity champion (a la Lumley) and so have been ignored by successive governments. There are many things about this country to be proud of, and also many things to be very ashamed of.

The "ashamed of" side of the ledger has been increasing pretty quickly of late.

I can't for the life of me work out why someone who has fought for us in our most desperate hour wouldn't be welcomed and revered afterwards. Why would anyone try to prevent this?

el punal

The "ashamed of" side of the ledger has been increasing pretty quickly of late.

I can't for the life of me work out why someone who has fought for us in our most desperate hour wouldn't be welcomed and revered afterwards. Why would anyone try to prevent this?

Not necessarily of late either. At the end of the Second World War the Poles who contributed magnificently in the Battle of Britain we’re not acknowledged for fear of upsetting the USSR.

I have read the book ‘Chastise’ by Max Hastings, a truly in depth account of the Dambusters raid of 1943. Even then the patronising and arrogant view that some upper class (tw*ts) senior officers held of the Dominion aircrews (those from Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand) was unbelievable. The opinion being that you could only lead if you came from the upper classes, the right school and proper upbringing.

At least now that condescending attitude has been binned and most people, in whatever walk of life, are now recognised and rewarded on merit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here