Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our next Saturday 15:00 Home game

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Exactly. Liverpool had a fanzine in the late 80s nearly 35 years ago called "When Sunday Comes" (a riposte to When Saturday Comes) because their games were never on Saturdays due to TV.
Pretty certain WSC was a national fanzine rather than a Liverpool one and games in the 80s were regularly at 3. I would suggest the title was a homage to the fact that football fans everywhere looked forward to when Saturdays came around.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’d heard a rumour that the Palace game will remain on the Saturday at 3pm.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I prefer having home games that aren't 3pm Saturday . I like Sunday Kick offs, 5.30 saturday home games, or monday night / and even 8pm saturday would be fine by me.

If we were doing well in the Championship we wouldn't have many 3pm saturday games either.
I seem to recall that in our final season 17 matches were moved for TV.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Pretty certain WSC was a national fanzine rather than a Liverpool one and games in the 80s were regularly at 3. I would suggest the title was a homage to the fact that football fans everywhere looked forward to when Saturdays came around.

IMG_4936.jpeg

Here’s the cover of issue 2 - it’s a Liverpool zine - it explains why inside - the “irregularity of Saturday kick offs” and has “we hate Sunday football “ on the cover .

The national zine was “When Saturday comes” - that started a few years earlier . It’s still going it appears and current issue has some dull hack droning on about Albion in Europe. Only £4.50 in all good newsagents.

PS: the first live football deal in the UK was in 1983 and for nine years games were shown on BBC and ITV well before the start of the PL in 1992. Games were often on Sundays and often featured Liverpool - hence When Sunday Comes - . But yes - the vast majority of football was still on Saturdays at 3pm.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
The games on 9th and 16th March also guaranteed to move too so could be just two maximum between now and the end of March
Thanks for pointing that out - I wasn't looking that closely but I return from holiday early on 10th March so won't miss the Forest game after all (unless I'm delayed or fall asleep from jetlag).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It’s fine. They will resurrect the super league…the usual big 6 will all f*** off and we can all go back to a proper first division without the Saudi and American billions and it will be a more level playing field

and we can get back to 3 o’clock kick offs and muddy pitches where a little old bloke comes on to put a while splodge of paint where a penalty spot is supposed to be!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
There we go then. Palace, Spurs and Everton all remain 3pm Sat kick offs with Sheff Utd moved to 2pm on the Sun.

I haven’t seen the TNT games announced yet ? Possibility one or more of those games could still change.

Edit - found the announcement on the TNT app and none of our games have been picked up by them for Feb.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surprised about Palace and Spurs TBH

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here