Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our last day game v Villa…remembering Spurs v Southampton 1977/1978

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Both did need a point in 1978, although Southampton would have needed to have lost by 7 or 8 for us to go past them. A win would have won them the league. So there could be comparisons with which European League we could enter.

There are theories about 1978. Evidence suggest the match became quite tame towards the end. It's not really surprising given that Tottenham fans had caused considerable distress and damage throughout that season and had already started at The Dell. It may be that the players saw out the easiest scenario. Southampton had no cause not to push on. I don't believe there was a conspiracy, I'm sure someone would have revealed it since. Unlike Albion's match against Rochdale in 1972 where a message did go out to the players (as revealed by a former Albion team member).

But, yes, regardless, it would be a thing of beauty if a draw denied Spurs. Although I wouldn't support any such stich up. I don't think RDZ would either.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Both did need a point in 1978, although Southampton would have needed to have lost by 7 or 8 for us to go past them. A win would have won them the league. So there could be comparisons with which European League we could enter.

There are theories about 1978. Evidence suggest the match became quite tame towards the end. It's not really surprising given that Tottenham fans had caused considerable distress and damage throughout that season and had already started at The Dell. It may be that the players saw out the easiest scenario. Southampton had no cause not to push on. I don't believe there was a conspiracy, I'm sure someone would have revealed it since. Unlike Albion's match against Rochdale in 1972 where a message did go out to the players (as revealed by a former Albion team member).

But, yes, regardless, it would be a thing of beauty if a draw denied Spurs. Although I wouldn't support any such stich up. I don't think RDZ would either.
The managers walking arm in arm on the pitch before the game..em.............

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The managers walking arm in arm on the pitch before the game..em.............
That's the bit I remember most. It was as though McMenemy and Burkinshaw were leading their teams out at Wembley for the Cup Final. Still hurts...a lot.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would any of you trust those shits at Villa to manipulate a result, I wouldn‘t and it‘s a shit unsporting suggestion too.I want us to blow the bastards away regardless of where we both are in the table.

What rankles me far more than that Spurs vs Saints game is losing the Championship title with a very late soft goal by Grealish followed by celebrations like they’d won the league themselves

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We've been stitched up by villa far too often lately so if we can go there and win and that means Spuds get a Europa league place above them then I'd live with that. In and ideal world they'd both miss out but that would probably benefit LIverpool and it would be nice to see Klopp miss out on European football next year! No ideal scenario so let's just beat Villa.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
When he was manager at Worthing Gerry Armstrong told me about the game at the Dell, playing up front for the Spuds he went clean through towards the end of the game, only to be shouted at by Steve Perryman to ‘take it to the corner flag’🙈

Maybe like Boro in 2016, it wasn’t our time, maybe we weren’t quite ready and who knows how the history of the club would turned out if we’d got relegated from the top flight in 78/79?

Football wise, especially the Albion, I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here