Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our first choice midfield?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
With Dunk, Webster, Duffy at CB and Biss in front of them that should be enough defensive cover but then we layer Lallana on top of that who has shown he would rather stroke the ball around the deeper midfield with Biss than create any problems in the final 3rd. Adding Groß or playing Moder or Mwepu deeper (when both look more comfortable going forwards) only adds to the lack of numbers breaking forward.

We have a solid defensive spine to this team and a top 6 goalkeeper so need to get back to playing more attack minded players in a role that gives them an outing further up the pitch.

Having Trossard on his own against PL defenders with only the odd run down the flank from the full backs is not going to result in creating either the chances or goals that will win us games.

I would go 5-3-2 with Biss, Moder and Mwepu as the 3 with Trossard and Maupay ahead of them

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It will vary, as it always does, but I think Bissouma and Mwepu, on current form should be in our first choice midfield.

March, Lallana and Moder I can't call at the moment, very even

MacAllister and Gross behind them

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
All about opinions.

Lamptey`s first few games for us were in a flat back four.Cucu has played in that system.Veltman and burn can.This present system is not working we have been sussed out..As Kosh has stated we need to take risks and try something differant.

I am beginning to have serious doubts about Potter as a coach.I hope i an wrong

When it comes to the back four, leave it alone, leave it as it is, it's by the far our strongest area. Our biggest problems as l see it, are trying to find the right combination in midfield to create chances and generate a few more goals, plus of course up front in the striker department in securing a more regular goalscorer.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The only goal scoring threat is Mwepu from midfield, maybe Mac Allister on a good day.

You know that a midfield 3 of Lallana, Biss and Groß will get you zero goals 99% of the time. March is very poor at shooting so if Tross is not at it, we’re not scoring. Moder got plenty of goals in Poland but can’t score for toffee in the EPL. Awful.

Potter stuffs the team full of midfielders who can’t hit a barn door with a banjo because the club have not provided him with the sort of goal scoring quality we need in forward positions; the sort of quality we have in other positions with the likes of Dunk, Bissouma & Lamptey.

I’m getting sick of this goal drought. We need at least 2 goal scorers (wingers or forwards) in January and we need to replace the likes of Locadia and Connolly who Potter will only play in cup games because he does not rate them in the EPL.

The club is paying a huge price for missing out on Nunez and Gonzalez in the summer.

I just can’t see where the next ****ing goal is coming from other than an Xmas present from Welbeck when he eventually returns. We’re like a Tiger with no teeth. And when our defence concede (albeit rarely) we have no response.

Saved me writing the same thing. Spot on. The bit I can’t get is that we’ve always been told about a ‘cluster’ of targets, yet we missed out on Nunez and Gonzalez - exactly the sort of players we need - and then seemed to have no plan B.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If we’re playing a back 5 we have no business playing 2 deeper centre midfielders, especially against teams who are sitting deep against us. We have to trust Bissouma to be the lone shield. Too often we seem horribly outmanned when advancing up the pitch hence it all slows down, if we commit another body forward then we can ask more questions of the opposition. If Bissouma gets the ball and looks up he needs more options than a 10 yard sideways out ball to Moder/Lallana/Groß. I think once Mwepu and Welbeck return we’ll see a much needed injection of energy and speed in the team which will be able to drag us further up the field.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
As others have said. I think having gross, lallana and moder in the same side is doomed to fail. They are essentially three of the same player. I really hope to see Maupay back and possibly try Sarmiento who clearly has a different spark about him.

While Danny W and Mwepu are out I would go with

Sanchez
Webster dunk Duffy
Lamptey bissouma lalana cuc
Tross Sarmiento
Maupay.

I worry that Alexis Mac would just be another slightly too slow version of a player we have too.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
And not instead of Gross, Lallana or Moder. Guy wants to put Bissouma on the bench. Not sure if he has adopted Frank Worthingtons drinking habits to justify the nickname.

Actually Swanny,i am in recovery and not drink

Even you must agree,our last two games have been poor.You cannot start with four holding mid-fielders like we did against Villa and expect to win

Your idol has lost his nerve

Keep to the hash and Pizza

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Actually Swanny,i am in recovery and not drink

Even you must agree,our last two games have been poor.You cannot start with four holding mid-fielders like we did against Villa and expect to win

Your idol has lost his nerve

Keep to the hash and Pizza

Ok

Yes the games were poor and there will be more poor games. There will also be more good ones.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I don't think Aberdeen fans would agree with that!

(I do think we should get him out of there on January 1st. though).

This

I just hope he is not binned like Molumby without being given a fair chance.We desperately need a goal-scoring midfielder( Although Enoch or Taylor Richards may come through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here