Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our best ever result

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Beating Wigan 1-0 in the second half of 96/97 season. Think they were top of the 3rd Division at the time - they certainly won it - and we were bottom of the football league at the time.

The only thing about this is that Wigan players were on the lash the night before the match, having already won the championship. It is said that at least one player arrived back at the hotel sensationally late, through a window.

You're right though; fab result and a big step in the climb to safety.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It’s all about opinions, mine is correct of course :lol:

Sorry you are of course wrong, the second half at Forest lasted at least 90 minutes, time stood still.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry you are of course wrong, the second half at Forest lasted at least 90 minutes, time stood still.

Much like all the other squeaky bum results being mentioned.

v Spurs I was hand rolling cigars after about 20 minutes, comfortable in the knowledge the game was won and the Albion could showboat to the final whistle...

...Against the Champions League finalists from 6 months earlier.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

v Spurs I was hand rolling cigars after about 20 minutes, comfortable in the knowledge the game was won and the Albion could showboat to the final whistle...

I agree but Spurs were really poor, really poor!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm going to go for the 2-1 win against Arsenal in 2018. That first half was outstanding, and when Murray scored I actually laughed. To me, that was the game when we finally arrived in the consciousness of other Premier League team's fans.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

My first game was in 69.

This, all day. A comfortable and compelling win, never a moment's anxiety, against the European cup finalists. If you'd told me we'd do that, a week, a month, a year, ten years, 50 years before that. I'd have laughed*. Then slapped you.

*If you'd told me three days beforehand, however, I'd have said 'yes, they looked absolutely diabolical in that European game. I think we could have them, quite easily. They are shot to pieces, and the manager has to go.'. Still. I'm having it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The only thing about this is that Wigan players were on the lash the night before the match, having already won the championship. It is said that at least one player arrived back at the hotel sensationally late, through a window.

You're right though; fab result and a big step in the climb to safety.

Fairly certain they hadn’t won the league by this point seeing as they only won by goals scored in he end. Oddly the one season that this took precedence over goal difference - thank ****.

Maybe they’d just clinched promotion. Which reminds me of another great surprise win: Beating Leicester 4-1 away in April 2014, when they hadn’t lost a game for 5 months.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Peterborough 0 Brighton 3

A big top of the table clash that their manager bigged up in to a cup final and we absolutely battered them. Won 3-0 but it could have easily been 8 or 9. Hit the woodwork 2 or 3 times, missed a penalty, Camp made a string of good saves and I think we had a goal disallowed. It proved that drubbing Charlton 4-0 a week before wasn’t a fluke. Most complete performance I’ve seen from a Brighton side.

Jimmy Grimble

A big top of the table clash that their manager bigged up in to a cup final and we absolutely battered them. Won 3-0 but it could have easily been 8 or 9. Hit the woodwork 2 or 3 times, missed a penalty, Camp made a string of good saves and I think we had a goal disallowed. It proved that drubbing Charlton 4-0 a week before wasn’t a fluke. Most complete performance I’ve seen from a Brighton side.

I was with someone on the terrace who backed us to win that Peterborough game 4-0. Was genuinely gutted for him when we kept missing chances. It really put him through the ringer. Can’t remember the price but he stood to win a lot. Don’t think he left the away end quite as jubilant as the other 2/3k Albion fans!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Wasn’t their amazing goalie on the day Joe Lewis?

I listened on Radio Sussex, as you say the margin of victory could’ve been by any score.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
you have a point

Liverpool & Forest were most definantly not (2 incredible wins)

I think we beat Villa also when they were European Champions,but at home

0-0 that season, but Albion did beat them at home the season they won the league.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009

Agree with this.

Day completed with a pint in Bert Murray's pub.

(I also thought goalie was Lewis - he was outstanding in a 0-3 defeat!)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

We walked away shaking our heads and wondering whether that was the best we'd ever seen our club play. I think you might be right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here