Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our best 3 signings relative to the clubs standing?

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Zamora (Already a quality player when we got him),

Zamora couldn't get into the Bristol Rovers team and the previous season had been loaned to Bath City as well as us. OK we may have been surprised that Rovers let him go, but he was hardly established when he arrived.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Well yes, however (and I was young at the time and have never actually lived in Brighton - so don't really remember) but I don't remember him being massively 'known' despite his goal scoring during his loan? I have always thought of it as a lower league transfer of a lad with massive potential but not a 'how the hell have we done that?' signing like Vicente was.

I think there was a sense of "how have we done that" with Zamora. Firstly when he came here on loan, nobody knew who he was, but after the last few seasons at the Goldstone and then at Gillingham Zamora did stand out in that loan spell as our first player in years that looked like he could score a lot of goals. The impact of his loan spell and our unbeaten run made it really evident that we would be challenging for promotion the following year if we signed him. So there was definitely huge relief when we actually signed him.

I think the "how have we done that" comes from the fact we spent a lot of money on him. Wasn't it 100K? At a time when we were spending very little on players.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Zamora (Already a quality player when we got him),

Zamora couldn't get into the Bristol Rovers team and the previous season had been loaned to Bath City as well as us. OK we may have been surprised that Rovers let him go, but he was hardly established when he arrived.

I take your point .
I meant he’d made his mark with us before we got him permanently.
Even at the start it looked like an absolute bargain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here