Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Only Connect

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sorry, I'm sure there's already a thread on OC, but I couldn't find it. Excellent series culminating in a fun 3rd/4th place play off last week and a thoroughly enjoyable final where I even got several answers right. The team I thought would win obviously also thought the same. I haven't seen such poor losers with such bad grace and sour faces on a TV show for, oh probably ever. I started laughing as they were being hammered in the final round and their expressions in defeat were a picture. Well done the producer for some cracking TV.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Alex (Captain) was insufferable. The lady on the right was annoying but I could accept it.

What I kept laughing at was Dennis (who carried their team and was the most likeable) goes purely by that name, no surname.

I did a little twitter search and saw there was a watchalong gathering in a pub with the winning team and several other teams from this series. Funnily enough, the losing team weren't there.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
My wife and I absolutely loved watching the Crustacaens lose. Alex showed less grace in losing than Jose Mourinho. He couldn't even look at the winning team. Marvellous scenes
This sounds great. Will enjoy watching later.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I have to agree - I was rooting for the Strigiforms and was very pleased for them.

The sour looks on the Crustaceans faces suggested to me that they expected their victory to be a formailty (to be fair, I assumed it would be too - they are undeniably very intelligent) and were almost angry that anyone had the temerity to beat them.

Great series though, OC is one of my favourite TV shows.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Recorded it as the wife is a huge fan of the show. Me, not so much - but Alex has really got on my tits every time they've been on this series, so I shall really enjoy watching them lose later 😁

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We were team Strigiforms too. So pleased that they won and that Alex lost, couldn’t even look up at the end. Denis carried that team too.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Alex (Captain) was insufferable. The lady on the right was annoying but I could accept it.

What I kept laughing at was Dennis (who carried their team and was the most likeable) goes purely by that name, no surname.

I did a little twitter search and saw there was a watchalong gathering in a pub with the winning team and several other teams from this series. Funnily enough, the losing team weren't there.
Dennis is, or was, actually his surname. He was once a team captain for UCL on University Challenge going by the name Simon Dennis.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
What I love about OC is that they will crack the question and say something like "The 4th answer is 4: Jeremy Dauphoise the 2nd of the greater Hungarian dynasty"

And Victoria will say "Yes, well done, can you tell me the links"

And the team will explain it as if I was explaining to you that England and France are things called countries. "well, of course the first clue was the half sister of the Japanese foreign secretary in 1934". And everyone nods along to this common knowledge.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry, I'm sure there's already a thread on OC, but I couldn't find it. Excellent series culminating in a fun 3rd/4th place play off last week and a thoroughly enjoyable final where I even got several answers right. The team I thought would win obviously also thought the same. I haven't seen such poor losers with such bad grace and sour faces on a TV show for, oh probably ever. I started laughing as they were being hammered in the final round and their expressions in defeat were a picture. Well done the producer for some cracking TV.
Absolutely all of this. I managed to get the Sports picture connection right by myself and several of the wall answers too. There was only one team to support, wasn't there? :lol:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Absolutely all of this. I managed to get the Sports picture connection right by myself and several of the wall answers too. There was only one team to support, wasn't there? :lol:
Once the Fosbury picture came up, I guessed that the footballer must be Panenka.

I knew the gymnast was likely to be either Korbut or Comaneci, but my lack of knowledge on gymnastic techniques let me down.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Thoroughly enjoyable final! Joshua has been a demon at the missing vowels round every time, so when they pulled it level at the wall stage I thought there'd only be one winner. I don't think the other two Crustaceans were that bad, obviously very intelligent people who are very good friends with other like minded very intelligent people. Alex never bothered me, always nice to have all walks of life on shows, just thought his inability to say well done and look the Strigiformes in the eye at the end was poor. Still, maybe he was that devastated to lose, some people are.

All in all, bloody love Only Connect, can't wait for the next series.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
It didn't affect the result, but VC seemed to be uncharacteristically lenient with a couple of the Crustaceans answers. Especially the one in the wall round where they offered 'song titles that are numbers' when the answer was 'album titles that are numbers'.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Once the Fosbury picture came up, I guessed that the footballer must be Panenka.

I knew the gymnast was likely to be either Korbut or Comaneci, but my lack of knowledge on gymnastic techniques let me down.
Panenka was the only answer I got right .... always feel very proud of getting any right at all in OC. Even when they explain the answer , and I know what they are explaining..... :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here