Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] One pass too many?

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Was thinking about this, as definitely felt there were a few times when we could of taken a shot earlier, but i do wonder whether there was a thought in the back of the players’ minds that a blocked shot could of then set up a quick counter attack by Watford ?

Post match Potter did talk about the plan to attack in a clever way and therefore not leave us open to a counter attack .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This!

My understanding of GP's method, is that it's all about continuous improvement.
Keep on doing the same things but look to improve.

2 seasons ago we were definitely "fannying around at the back" and it was frequently heart in mouth stuff.
That has now become well drilled tactical passing and most players instinctively know when the only option is to "get rid" (rarely).

The same is happening with our forward play.
The probing for an opening has been ongoing for two seasons and whilst at times it has seemed ponderous and slow, it is now beginning to be much slicker and quicker.

I saw a decent piece of analysis on our xg stats a few weeks ago, that identified whilst our xg was good, in reality it was made up of positions where there were plenty of defenders in the way.
In other words the build up was too slow. The real issue isn't that we take too many touches, it is more that when the player has the ball, the opportunity is already not good enough to take on.

We are already seeing situations where our attacks are happening much quicker, as the team become better at seeing/reading the opportunity.

Love that we now have xg analysis on this. Been saying it for two seasons, and I have absolutely no idea about stats or analysis - just my own eyes!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Completely agree ... (though i'm not moaning).

We definitely looked for one pass too many. MacAllister looking for Gross in the first half the most obvious example, but there were others.

What we've done so far has been good enough to get past two teams who will struggle, (again not complaining, we didn't do much of that last year), but against better teams, more ruthlessness and better decision making will be required

Potentially a fabulous pass - but either pass too quick or Gross too slow; take your pick.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dangerous nonsense.

We are collectively blessed to be watching the best quality football ever played by Brighton & Hove Albion.

“One pass too many” up front should be filed in the same rubbish bin as “fannying around at the back”...

Comprehensively, massively this.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, well, it's so easy to shout "shoot, for ****s sake" from the stands, isn't it?
Down on pitch level it ain't so easy to see the whole picture at all.

‘Shooooot’ usually starts in WSL when anyone crosses the halfway line, even if they have the full 11 defending in front of them

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Was thinking about this, as definitely felt there were a few times when we could of taken a shot earlier, but i do wonder whether there was a thought in the back of the players’ minds that a blocked shot could of then set up a quick counter attack by Watford ?

Post match Potter did talk about the plan to attack in a clever way and therefore not leave us open to a counter attack .

That’s interesting because Watford destroyed Villa with quick counter attacks. I can’t remember us being overly troubled by any of them. Then when we sat back, Watford had literally no plan or answer whatsoever.

I still worry about us playing against the deep block though. We won’t score many set-piece headers to open up a defence and we won’t be gifted the sort of mistake Cleverly gave us (a championship player) for the rest of the season so we can’t rely on these sorts of goals to make teams attacks us thus giving us space in and around their penalty areas.

Potter needs to draw the deep block out like he did against Burnley who thought they were Brazil in the 1st half and forgot all about their defensive principles in the 2nd allowing us to slice them open like a sushi chef attacking a puffer fish. It’s not all about quick players and quick passing because as we saw against Palace at home last season, their defensive lines never moved far enough out of their own congested penalty area for us to have more than a handful of unchallenged shots.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That’s interesting because Watford destroyed Villa with quick counter attacks. I can’t remember us being overly troubled by any of them. Then when we sat back, Watford had literally no plan or answer whatsoever.

I still worry about us playing against the deep block though. We won’t score many set-piece headers to open up a defence and we won’t be gifted the sort of mistake Cleverly gave us (a championship player) for the rest of the season so we can’t rely on these sorts of goals to make teams attacks us thus giving us space in and around their penalty areas.

Potter needs to draw the deep block out like he did against Burnley who thought they were Brazil in the 1st half and forgot all about their defensive principles in the 2nd allowing us to slice them open like a sushi chef attacking a puffer fish. It’s not all about quick players and quick passing because as we saw against Palace at home last season, their defensive lines never moved far enough out of their own congested penalty area for us to have more than a handful of unchallenged shots.

What you say about CPFC was true but in that sort of game quick but intricate football is the only answer but other matches and defensive scenarios will require a more direct approach.

So far no cause for complaint but 'fannying' about in in both games caused two forced mistakes by Sanchez, better teams would have punished us. Playing the ball out is good and preferred option but sometimes the long ball is better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here