Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] One for the ultra stato's / historians

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I was telling a Japanese friend about the joys of following the Albion earlier. Obviously I talked about following us up and down the 4 leagues but I also mentioned that I'd seen us spend at least a week in both 92nd in the league and 1st and probably every position in between.

Which got me thinking? Have we? Have we spent at least one game in every position in the league between 1st and 92nd?

Just spotted that in the title only 'h' from historians was typed. Could a kindly mod fix that please? Or, if as is probably likely, this thread drops like a stone, don't worry!

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
We’ve never been top of the premier league or the previous division 1 as far as I can remember.
Erm
August 2024.png

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I don’t think we have ever been bottom of the Premier league - we could have been bottom of the old first division though

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I was telling a Japanese friend about the joys of following the Albion earlier. Obviously I talked about following us up and down the 4 leagues but I also mentioned that I'd seen us spend at least a week in both 92nd in the league and 1st and probably every position in between.

Which got me thinking? Have we? Have we spent at least one game in every position in the league between 1st and 92nd?

Just spotted that in the title only 'h' from historians was typed. Could a kindly mod fix that please? Or, if as is probably likely, this thread drops like a stone, don't worry!
What a great question.
I'm going to sit firmly on my arse while someone crunches the numbers. Come on statos who will take the glory?

el punal

Without checking I think we have been in every position from 92nd to 1st. Historically we have been up and down the divisions like a fiddler’s elbow. I’ve been watching the Albion since the mid-1960s and during that decade alone we were in three different divisions - second, then third, down to fourth, up to third. Repeat that for every decade following. I shall now spend every waking hour researching! :cheers:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Without checking I think we have been in every position from 92nd to 1st. Historically we have been up and down the divisions like a fiddler’s elbow. I’ve been watching the Albion since the mid-1960s and during that decade alone we were in three different divisions - second, then third, down to fourth, up to third. Repeat that for every decade following. I shall now spend every waking hour researching! :cheers:
I'm going to throw in the curveball that the top division used to have 22 teams and now only has 20. So if we were never in 22nd between 1979 and 1983 we never can be. We must have been bottom at some stage in those years though, surely?

And the other curve ball that the bottom two divisions were regionalised until 57/58 (which of course we won!) so do positions from this era count???

Having lit the statistical and pedantic blue touch paper I shall now retreat to a safe distance.

*skips away laughing*

el punal

I'm going to throw in the curveball that the top division used to have 22 teams and now only has 20. So if we were never in 22nd between 1979 and 1983 we never can be. We must have been bottom at some stage in those years though, surely?

And the other curve ball that the bottom two divisions were regionalised until 57/58 (which of course we won!) so do positions from this era count???

Having lit the statistical and pedantic blue touch paper I shall now retreat to a safe distance.

*skips away laughing*
May you burn in the fires of hell!

P.S. I’m sure we were bottom of Division One (22nd) back in 1979 and then climbed the table to relative safety. Definitely 22nd in Div.1 in May 1983. :tantrum:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
May you burn in the fires of hell!

P.S. I’m sure we were bottom of Division One (22nd) back in 1979 and then climbed the table to relative safety. Definitely 22nd in Div.1 in May 1983. :tantrum:
Ah, we did finish bottom didn't we. So it's back on. Had in my head we were second bottom for some reason.

(edit, AZ Gull even posted the table, note to self, check the whole thread!)

Last edited:

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
We’ve never been top of the premier league or the previous division 1 as far as I can remember.
I’ve certainly sang “we are top of the league, say we are top of the league” a couple of times (if only for a few minutes 😂😂😂)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here