Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] One for the stattos

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
I remember the weather was lovely

Brizzle had a huge player at the time called Devon White. When he ran onto the pitch at the start, he tripped and fell over, the cause of much hilarity in the north stand.

Odd the things one remembers......

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Brizzle had a huge player at the time called Devon White. When he ran onto the pitch at the start, he tripped and fell over, the cause of much hilarity in the north stand.

Wasn't the corner stand(NE) used that day ? Or was it out of commission by then.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
great scenes at the Bristol Rovers game

"Fans Go Wild as Albion Make It" was the Argus headline (still got the front page somewhere...) That was the season we went on that ridiculous run of something like 7 wins and a draw in the last eight games. And the coldest I have ever been at a match on the terraces at Notts County. Brrr....

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton

Bloody hell, I remember that.

It was actually the sign carrying the Player-Of-The-Year sponsors logo, which I think was Granada TV's...The sign was secured to the turf by a string and pegs, Devon clearly did not see the string and tripped over it...Very funny.

Years later Devon White ended-up at Watford and then Hornets manager, Kenny Jackett said of White that they had to keep him interested during the game as otherwise he will just "switch-off".

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think perhaps your memory is playing tricks? I have no recollection of Maybank being played instead of Ward. The majority of the time they were played together. Ward had 46 appearances in 76/77, 39 in 77/78, 27 in 78/79, 41 in 79/80. When Ward was injured, I would suggest that he was replaced by Poskett and not Maybank.

That's the way I remember it too. Maybank effectively replaced Ian Mellor. Or ineffectively, for the most part.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here