Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ollie's predictions [Sky Sports News]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Holloway-horiz_3338941.jpg
Holloway-horiz_3338941.jpg

Ian Holloway gives his Football League predictions

Sky Sports pundit Ian Holloway predicts the outcome of the big Football League midweek fixtures.....
Shout it from the rooftops, I'm a man in-form.
From my last 20 predictions I've got 13 results correct, including seven out of 10 over the weekend.*
However, I'm only a heartbeat away from getting every one of these wrong, but that's life!
The managerial merry-go-round is spinning at a ridiculously ferocious rate and the goings on at Leeds United in the last 24 hours only reiterates my view that nothing in football surprises me anymore.*
This decision to sack Uwe Rosler just sums up football in the modern era. Harsh is not a strong enough word. He's only had 12 games!
Good luck to Steve Evans, who starts his tenure against Fulham as part of a really intriguing set of midweek fixtures. I think he's going to need it. He better do well in the first 10 games. Even if he does well in first 10, then he'd better watch out for the next 10!
Brighton v Bristol City, Tuesday 7:45pm
This game is one of many that have caused me problems. I've got a gut feeling there will be plenty of surprises this week but having watched both clubs very closely, I think Brighton and their winning mentality might just be too much for City.
Ut_HKthATH4eww8X4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ

Highlights from Elland Road as Brighton scored a late winner to beat hosts Leeds

If City play with the back five then I can see Brighton getting behind the wing backs. Steve Cotterill can't change it as they are brilliant playing that way but Brighton are going to take some stopping. One team will dent them along the way as no team can go unbeaten through a Championship season, but not City.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 2-1*(Sky Bet odds*15/2)
Cardiff v Middlesbrough, Tuesday 7:45pm
This will be really, really close and the draw looks the smart play. Some may have been shocked at Boro being held by Fulham at the weekend and even though I went for them, I wasn't. The Championship is the toughest league in the world. There's no point moping around, they've got to get going again. That's the great thing about this league.*

Highlights from Middlesbrough’s goalless draw with Fulham

Cardiff are a team that clubs in the top six should be looking over their shoulders at. Man-for-man if you look at their squad they have so much power.*
OLLIE PREDICTS: 1-1*(Sky Bet odds*9/2)
Hull v Ipswich, Tuesday 7:45pm
This game just sums up how challenging this prediction lark is. The game could go either way but I've just given the edge to Hull, who are strong at home. I loved the way Steve Bruce talked about how his squad are up for the challenge of winning promotion. They seem very together.

Highlights from Sheffield Wednesday's 1-1 draw against Hull

Abel Hernandez is starting to get to grips with English football, learning the language and understanding the culture. You can see that in his game. He could be the difference here. I liked him when he first came over but he went off the boil a bit. He's got that unpredictable skill level that the top quality South American players have - maybe he should enter the X-Factor, as he could win it!
OLLIE PREDICTS: 2-1*(Sky Bet odds*8/1)
Nottingham Forest v Burnley, Tuesday 7:45pm
I don't think they'll be many goals in this one but it's set up for Burnley to rock up and steal all three points. They are very business-like and have a goalscorer who is a real handful in Andre Gray, who got two more on the weekend.
andre-gray-burnley-sky-bet-championship-football_3354085.jpg
andre-gray-burnley-sky-bet-championship-football_3354085.jpg

Andre Gray of Burnley has been an astute signing, says Ollie

The skill of a manager is to get his chairman to part with his money as nobody wants to spend any. Sean Dyche did that with Gray and he's reaping the benefits now. What a great player he is.
Although it's not really going for him at the moment, I thought Dougie Freedman's interview after the game at Bristol City was excellent. Well done to him. He doesn't make excuses. It's very tough without your best players.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 0-1*(Sky Bet odds*6/1)
QPR vs Sheffield Wed, Tuesday, 7:45pm
Sheffield Wednesday are consistently performing every week and are much better than I'd thought they'd be.
Loftus Road is always a tough place to go in midweek under the floodlights but I'm just not sure where QPR are at the moment. I say it every week, but Charlie Austin is so important to the R's.
qpr-charlie-austin_3348549.jpg
qpr-charlie-austin_3348549.jpg

You shouldn't underestimate how much of a miss Charlie Austin is for QPR, says Ollie

It's the same with Chris Martin at Derby. He is pivotal to the way Derby play. Remember when Nottingham Forest were top of the table last season? It was when they had Britt Assombalonga. Look at Brentford without Andre Gray. Look at QPR in the 90s when we sold Les Ferdinand. What happened? We got relegated. Strikers turn draws into wins and defeats into draws.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 1-1*(Sky Bet odds*5/1)
Rotherham v Reading, Tuesday, 7:45pm
I keep blowing the trumpet for Reading and I'm blaring out the same tune again. Steve Clarke has got them rocking. This should be an away win. I love their movement up front and they are strong defensively. The Royals are going to be big challengers for automatic promotion.

Highlights from Reading’s 1-0 win over Charlton

This will be Neil Redfearn's first home game in charge and it could have a positive effect. Rotherham do have something about them but they're meeting an in-form, strong and highly energetic team on Tuesday.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 0-2*(Sky Bet odds*8/1)
Bolton v Birmingham, Tuesday, 8:00pm
Birmingham are a great counter attacking side and this game should suit them. The back four and two holding midfielders know their role and the front four are lightning fast, including Clayton Donaldson, who runs channels, holds the ball up and can score a goal. He's been unbelievable this season. They'll be playing with confidence, something which Bolton are struggling with.
birmingham-clayton-donaldson_3339334.jpg
birmingham-clayton-donaldson_3339334.jpg

Clayton Donaldson looks a good bet to score first, says Ollie

Neil Lennon's men just can't seem to get it going. Playing at home may not help things either. It can be a tough place to play when the crowd are against you. It's not nice and can increase the pressure. I'm sure Neil will sort it out, but I fancy Birmingham strongly in this game.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 0-2*(Sky Bet odds*14/1)
Fulham v Leeds, Wednesday, 7:45pm
Going on what I've seen from both teams this season, it will be a close game.*
The problem with Fulham is their consistency. They were outstanding against QPR, then got hammered at home to Wolves before picking up a great point at Middlesbrough.
O0cEsGv5RdudyPNn4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ
O0cEsGv5RdudyPNn4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ

Steve Evans has told Sky Sports News HQ that he is the new manager of Leeds United

Leeds' new manager has got a fantastic record at getting promotion and maybe Leeds will get a bounce from his appointment, but I'm sitting on the fence.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 1-1*(Sky Bet odds*5/1)
Blackburn v Derby, Wednesday, 7:45pm
Having watched Derby on Sunday, I simply can't go against them. They were so impressive and are on a roll. I'm backing Chris Martin to score first too. He was brilliant against Wolves on Sunday.

Highlights from Derby's impressive 4-2 win over Wolves

It was as good a centre-forward performance as I've seen. If any young kid wants to be a centre-forward I would advise them to go watch that performance as that's how to do it. Everything about him was brilliant. He isn't the quickest but he such a pivotal player.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 1-2*(Sky Bet odds*5/1)
Swindon vs Oldham, League One, Tuesday, 7:45pm
Swindon lost 2-0 at Millwall on Saturday and by all accounts didn't play very well. It was their eighth successive game without victory. The manager made a statement following the defeat and they've sacked him. It doesn't make much sense. If he was expected to still be up challenging at the top of the league after he had to sell £8m worth of players in the summer, then he might be better off out of there anyway. Oldham should take advantage on Tuesday.
3Gduepif0T1UGY8H4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ
3Gduepif0T1UGY8H4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ

Swindon Town chairman Lee Power has taken temporary charge of first-team affairs after he sacked Mark Cooper on Saturday

OLLIE PREDICTS: 0-1*(Sky Bet odds*7/1)

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

More...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here