Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Olé football

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Saves me posting what I was going to post. On Wednesday, the footballing Gods are watching - if we are lucky enough to score, no "Olé"s, no "You're f***ing shit" and no "we're taking the piss" unless and until we are home and dry. It cost us against Palace at their place and again yesterday. It's asking for trouble. You may as well abuse Palace for their lack ot shots on goal in the first 10 minutes and go the whole hog!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Totally agree. That chant is arrogant beyond belief.
Oh come on - there's definitely a time and a place for that chant, but only if more than 3 goals ahead! Most chants are pretty arrogant - the nature of football tribalism!

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Oh come on - there's definitely a time and a place for that chant, but only if more than 3 goals ahead! Most chants are pretty arrogant - the nature of football tribalism!
Yeah you’re probably right, I’ve just got a hatred of smugness. Man City fans at the Amex springs to mind.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I don't mind the oles when we are having a stroll in the park but what did my head in on Saturday on the telly box was the 'wooooooah' preceding the pass. At first I thought it was the leeds fans trying to put off our players. Just don't do it. Ole a successful pass, fine, don't put pressure on the player with the ball.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We're taking the piss" is a good chant when we are.

Didn't really see us taking the piss on the coverage i saw of the Leeds game though

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I originally gave the opening post a thumbs up, believing that to Ole at 0-0 was arrogant and cringey, even when done tongue in cheek.

But having just watched that square ball video, over on the Leeds Utd thread, I've come to the conclusion that the Ole serves a useful purpose.

The 3 Leeds fans said that their crowd was on the turn, riled by our possession and us Oleing our passing sequences was really frustrating.

If a team sits back and allows us to hold onto the ball, without engaging, it makes life harder for us. But if we can do our bit by winding them up with just a few Oles, and they lose their discipline as a result, then that's a positive not a negative.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Can I also add in 'We're all going on a European tour' as one to avoid until such a time that we are winning comfortably and post 85 mins..(which isn't guaranteed)

Crouch End Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
It’s not so much the arrogance or flex that’s annoying about ole/taking the piss/European tour/score in a minute. God knows we’ve waited long enough to be able to be arrogant - it’s karma. And on Wednesday the risks of that are greater than ever. Ole-ing is no different to a Mexican wave - turning football into a pantomime. Doesn’t help the team. But yeah at 3-0 brilliant.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wouldn't get overly het up about it tbh. A lot of football chanting involves arrogance and talking the piss out of the opposition, its part of the tribalism as already mentioned on here.

I've been guilty of joining in with the chant that proclaims that "Brighton & Hove Albion FC are by FAR the greatest team the world has ever seen". And that was when we had Chris McPhee playing up top. Was that arrogance ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here