Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Oldham Athletic on the brink?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Which Oldhamesque ground did I go 30+ years ago.

All I remember is the back of an incongruous white building (supermarket? ) hanging over the end off to our right.

Any help?

Langdon Seagull is spot on. Definitely Bolton's old ground, Burnden Park. Saw us lose in the cup there about 30 years ago. 2-1. Remember nothing about the game at all!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Langdon Seagull is spot on. Definitely Bolton's old ground, Burnden Park. Saw us lose in the cup there about 30 years ago. 2-1. Remember nothing about the game at all!

You remember more than I do!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Having read the thread I don't sense a massive amount of sympathy for their fans.

On a par with comments after the sinking of the Titanic in Ye Eveninge Arguss of the time:

"Did you know that more than 90% of an iceberg is actually below the water line?
The north Atlantic has lost a considerable amount of its fish species in the last 100 years.
I prefer to take my vacations somewhere closer to the equator; Egypt perhaps."

Etc. Etc.

So Farewell, then, Pine Villa
As you were once known.
For a time, flying high in the EPL
Althought it wasn't called the EPL back then.
It was the premiership.
Perhaps that's where you're destined next.

EJ Tackle, aged 63 and three quarters.

On the contrary. I have a huge amount of sympathy for Oldham and their fans. This ownership situation has been bubbling under for a while. This is a decent summary from last December:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/oldham-athletic-crisis-owner-efl-b1977928.html?amp

At first glance it does not look like our situation with Archer although ownership by an agent, very high player turnover, transfer embargoes and ground ownership by a previous chairman clearly indicate there is something fundamentally wrong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was asked if I wanted mushy peas with my fish & chips :mad:

First time I ever had mushy peas was at Derby in the League Cup….they also came with fish and chips. Been a fan of the mix ever since

I used to think of Oldham as a team we expected to lose to, sad times to be in their position as we all know. But we came back from the brink.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Never been to Oldham, but South Street chippy in Lewes does mushy peas (or at least did a few years ago when I last went there).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here