Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Older Dads

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
The only downside to having children later in life is that you can miss out on the support and love that your own parents can provide. I am 67 and my first grandchild is now 1 year old. I adore him and more than happy to support with childcare now my daughter is back to part time work. They realise how lucky they are that I've retired and live close by. However even though I'm fit and well it is 10 times more tiring as you get older. I can only imagine how difficult it would be in my 70s if more grandchildren come along. Relationships that children have with grandparents are very special and we offer a very important role now both parents need to work!

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
I was 26 and 29 when I had my boys
For me I’m glad I had them when I did as knowing what I know now about bringing them up I wouldn’t have wanted to become a dad in my late 30s or 40s,a lot do but not for me
I’m 59 now and have a 10 year old grandaughter I’m glad it happened for me how it did

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We had our son late 30s which based on our NCT group seemed fairly average, I think only 1 couple out of 7 were sub 30.

Felt like a good age for me - selfishly we’ve both done a lot of things we wanted (me, pretty much every major football tournament. Her, travel- us nice holidays in Caribbean, US Road trip, Dubai etc) and financially we’ve been fairly comfortable now without having to scrimp on anything we wanted for him.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The main things that worry me are future problems - having teenagers in my 60s and also a huge sadness that I will most likely be very old (or dead) by the time grandkids arrive.

As I mentioned earlier , I had my first daughter at 26 and second at 43. Eldest daughter is now 34 and got 2 kids under 3. We do weekly babysitting for them and I love it.

Probably won't be around much youngests kids as much (if at all) as she's now 17 and I'm 60. However I don't think about it at all as there's nothing I can do about it. I concentrate on giving her the best life I can. With my first daughter I never had the time or money to do the things I can now with my youngest, such as nice family holidays, going to watch the Albion together etc...

Don't worry about things you can't do anything about and concentrate on the here and now and enjoy your time with your kids. It'll seem like 5 mins and they'll be in their late teens/20s and want nothing to do with you.

Last edited:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I was 30 when we had our daughter and my husband is 9 years older then me, so I just asked him if it was an issue, he said “No, he’s never seen it as an issue” our daughter is now 21 now and he has been a great dad and they have a close relationship. So if your an older dad don’t worry about it and do the best you can, you probably won’t get it all right but none of us do.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
congratulations mate , you've done it before so you know what you're in for , make the most of it , as we all know they grow up so fast ,before you know it you're giving them driving lessons and locking the drinks cabinet , all the best mate.

Thank you very much mate!

I've just started a new job, my boss is 59 and has an 8 year old boy. Makes me realise that worrying about becoming a Dad again at 40 certainly isn't old these days!

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Found out quite recently that I am expecting my second child, all going well he/she will arrive a few months after my 41st birthday.

Genuinely didn't think i'd have the chance again at 40 and am over the moon but naturally a bit worried about being the older Dad in the playground. My Dad was 45 when he had me and it definitely bothered him more than it did me!

Any other 'older' Dad's out there have any tips or experiences?
37 and 40 for me. Its totally fine. Except you sometimes have to remind yourself that in the playground at drop off etc you can be talking to you someone a decade younger than you. So if you try and Peter Kay anecdote them up with tales of Blur and Oasis fighting it out in the charts you may as well be talking about the Blitz.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here