Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Old skool game sticks

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am now mid-40s and firmly into midlife crisis mode. I played super Mario Kart on the snes over the weekend and it is much better than the versions on my kids’ switch. It got me wondering about these plug and play sticks that cost about 40 quid with thousands of games. Does anyone have one? If so any with super Mario kart and sensible soccer? If it had micro machines that would also be excellent - modern versions suck.

I completely appreciate lots of looking back through rose tinted glasses but it is only 40 quid and might be a laugh through the long winter evenings.

Any recommendations? Or things to avoid?

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I am now mid-40s and firmly into midlife crisis mode. I played super Mario Kart on the snes over the weekend and it is much better than the versions on my kids’ switch. It got me wondering about these plug and play sticks that cost about 40 quid with thousands of games. Does anyone have one? If so any with super Mario kart and sensible soccer? If it had micro machines that would also be excellent - modern versions suck.

I completely appreciate lots of looking back through rose tinted glasses but it is only 40 quid and might be a laugh through the long winter evenings.

Any recommendations? Or things to avoid?
'Any recommendations? Or things to avoid?'

Yes. Leave the computer games to the kids, and spend more time walking in the countryside or something

Jul 7, 2003
Colleague of mine had a little hand held game player last week which I think cost £35 but had thousands of games on there including old Sega Game Gear and some of the very early arcade games (Boot Hill anyone?). Was a similar size to a GameBoy so easy to carry around but can also be linked to a TV if you want a big screen experience

I can ask him for a link if you want.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

Yes. Leave the computer games to the kids, and spend more time walking in the countryside or something
Fear not. I spend loads of time outside walking and various sports. I am after something for crap winter evenings when my wife who is a teacher is doing her work and I get bored so start eating.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Colleague of mine had a little hand held game player last week which I think cost £35 but had thousands of games on there including old Sega Game Gear and some of the very early arcade games (Boot Hill anyone?). Was a similar size to a GameBoy so easy to carry around but can also be linked to a TV if you want a big screen experience

I can ask him for a link if you want.
Anything like that would be useful. Impossible to trust any reviews online (you know what I mean) for stuff like this.

Being mid 40s I grew up with all this stuff - my first one was a master system while my sister got game boy (which was better). Some of the snes/ mega drive games would still be fun, I think.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

You can play the older games on virtual consoles on the switch.. INcluding Mario Kart
SNES via Switch

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Anything like that would be useful. Impossible to trust any reviews online (you know what I mean) for stuff like this.

Being mid 40s I grew up with all this stuff - my first one was a master system while my sister got game boy (which was better). Some of the snes/ mega drive games would still be fun, I think.
check out Youtube as there are reviews on these sort of devices

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here