Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Officials And VAR Tonight

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Interesting one. Nothing affected the result as we were thumped good and proper.

Ref had a very tidy game. Only one questionable and that went in our favour. One of the Everton bookings looked a little harsh.

The lino in the first half would have had more focus had it been a close match. A ball that clearly did not go out, not even close, was flagged and an opposition player would have been through on an angle.

But VAR ? Well, we were beaten by then so maybe they wanted to go home. But Pickford, on retreat, absolutely threw on of our players (can't remember who now) to the ground.

Maybe folk had just given up by then anyway, but why it wasn't called I don't know.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought Hoops refereed it well. Stamped on any time wasting early.
He tried to, but then decided to completely ignore Pickford doing it all game. 20 outfield players running around the pitch are managing without water, but Prickford was grabbing a drink for every goal kick. And then after his drink, he was going to wave his arms at his team, before finally going to take the kick. It was awful time-wasting that Hoopy should have stopped.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Interesting one. Nothing affected the result as we were thumped good and proper.

Ref had a very tidy game. Only one questionable and that went in our favour. One of the Everton bookings looked a little harsh.

The lino in the first half would have had more focus had it been a close match. A ball that clearly did not go out, not even close, was flagged and an opposition player would have been through on an angle.

But VAR ? Well, we were beaten by then so maybe they wanted to go home. But Pickford, on retreat, absolutely threw on of our players (can't remember who now) to the ground.

Maybe folk had just given up by then anyway, but why it wasn't called I don't know.
AMac?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's really bad because I saw it on the TV and the replay. But when I saw the replay I couldn't believe it was passed. Pickford was backtracking and literally saw him and threw him to the ground. I did wonder if the VAR chap had gone for a fag.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He tried to, but then decided to completely ignore Pickford doing it all game. 20 outfield players running around the pitch are managing without water, but Prickford was grabbing a drink for every goal kick. And then after his drink, he was going to wave his arms at his team, before finally going to take the kick. It was awful time-wasting that Hoopy should have stopped.
I did think that. He gave him a stern finger wag at one stage, but he was walking a tight line.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It annoys me when a ref calls a player over they ignore him and then the ref goes to them, should stand their ground and make a player come to them. Everton did it and so did we, shows weakness from the ref

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He was decent by recent standards. Nothing to see here tbh.
Which is the original point. The 50/50s actually went our way.

I was asking how VAR operates when it was so clear that Pickford has committed a pretty outrageous foul.

The result was unaffected either way.

Just add to that the absurd penalty that Southampton have just been given.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I did think that. He gave him a stern finger wag at one stage, but he was walking a tight line.

Each to their own, but I think he moved the line 50 yards and the ref let it happen. He was taking a good 40 seconds per goal kick and the ref should have stopped it.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Ref was largely fine. Apart from not taking more action on Pickford for time wasting. Constantly going to take a drink from his water bottle, or unnecessarily repositioning the ball, or pretending he's injured, or chatting to his defenders while ignoring that a goal kick needs to be taken. Kept saying through the game that no doubt Pickford would get a meaningless yellow in the 85th minute, but not even that. If that wasnt ridiculous time wasting from him then I dont know what is.... Keepers get too much protection sometimes. Give them one, maybe two warnings, and then yellow card. Another & you're off. We've paid money to watch football and instead we have to put up with that. Not that it would have made much difference to the result, but its such a blind spot in our game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here