Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
hughton-post-charlton-ld229-2838347_478x359.jpg

Chris Hughton
Image by: Paul Hazlewood

PUBLISHED
06:00 7th December 2015
by James Hilsum
You need that little bit of fortune, quality and guile and we got that with the three goalscorers today."
Chris Hughton
CHRIS HUGHTON admitted that Brighton & Hove Albion rode their luck at times in the 3-2 win over Charlton and paid tribute to David Stockdale for a string of fine saves.
The Albion boss was pleased with his side's improvement after the break though, as the Seagulls claimed three more crucial points.
He said, “They had a lot of pace on the counter attack and it worked for them. We got caught out and conceded what I thought were two poor goals.
“We allowed too many players to get caught in advance positions, while knowing that they had that ability to break.
“They had some very good opportunities and we could have gone in three-nil down at half-time. We were certainly grateful to David Stockdale for keeping the scoreline down to two goals at the break.
“We also threatened by getting into that final third a lot in the first half, but we didn’t really have any clear-cut chances.”
The Albion boss praised his coaching staff for a tactical alteration in the second-half, which ultimately contributed to Albion’s comeback.
“We managed to keep the three strikers on the pitch and I probably have to thank my coaches for that as there is a lot going on, on the touchline. They suggested going with three at the back, which we did do and it paid dividends for us in the end.
“Charlton defended very deep; after the first goal they went 4-4-1-1 and then they went down to ten men. But you see numerous teams go down to ten men and the scoreline remains the same. You need that little bit of fortune, quality and guile and we got that with the three goalscorers today.”

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK

KAREL FRAEYE was pleased with Charlton’s start to the game against Brighton, but was left frustrated after going down to ten men and ultimately succumbing to defeat.

He said, “It’s very hard to take. We played very well in the first-half, everything was in order and the performance was good, and Brighton were lucky to go in only 2-0 down.
“We changed our tactics. We knew we could hurt them and we came here to win the game. That was clear. We started with all of our attackers. We didn’t come here to park the bus like Birmingham did last weekend - that wasn’t an option for us.
“If we scored the third one then we go home with the three points, for sure.
“This game was prepared for almost every detail but we did not prepare for the red card. The first goal came very soon in the second half. That boosted the home team; the red card boosted them again.
“It was naive from us as we gave the ball away just before, and for the first goal too. We got punished from it.”
Despite being disappointed with the result, the interim manager praised the attitude of his squad.
“Credit to my players, though, because their mentality was excellent. I hope that for our next two home games that the crowd can really back the players because we saw what we can do as a team.”

[h=3]ALBION V MIDDLESBROUGH
[/h] SATURDAY 19TH DECEMBER, KICK-OFF 12.30PM

[h=3]ALBION V IPSWICH TOWN
[/h] TUESDAY 29TH DECEMBER, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]ALBION V WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS**
[/h] FRIDAY 1ST JANUARY, KICK-OFF 3PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here