Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Observer - fans’ predictions

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think there's reason for some optimism for us but I also accept that a lot of our optimism is based on the hope that some of our young players can and will "step up" this year. In reality no one knows if Bissouma, Mac Allister, White, Lamptey, Connolly, Alzate, Molumby et al can become established regulars putting in good performances for 30-plus games a season because, for a variety of reasons, none of them have really had the chance yet. My guess is that some will flourish and others will not but having so many inexperienced players on the squad could be the reason why "outsiders" look at us as relegation favourites.

I doubt whether many "outsiders" know a thing about Alzate, Mac Allister and the other youngsters, especially Molumby (who has never played for us in the PL, or been in the headlines like White). Half of 'em probably still think we've got a got defence, built round that partnership of Dunk'n'Duffy, Murray up front, and our star player is - err - what's his name? ...... Knockheart or something?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No surprise that the Leeds fan predicts us to go down. Many seem to think that we'll b adrift by January and that they'll be able to buy Ben white for less than 10m. The fact that we stayed up comfortably 6 weeks ago by accumulating 13 points from a tough 9 game run-in and also taken their best defender back seems to have escaped them.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Post lockdown league table:

1. Manchester City – 21 points (GD +27)
2. Manchester United – 21 points (GD +20)
3. Southampton – 18 points (GD +8)
4. Tottenham – 18 points (GD +7)
5. Chelsea – 18 points (GD +3)
6. Liverpool – 17 points
7. Arsenal – 16 points (GD +7)
8. Wolves – 16 points (GD +4)
9. Burnley – 15 points
10. West Ham – 12 points (GD +2)
11. Everton – 12 points (GD -3)
12. Brighton – 12 points (GD -7)
13. Sheffield United – 10 points
14. Newcastle United – 9 points (GD -4)
15. Leicester City – 9 points (GD -4)
16. Aston Villa – 9 points (GD -4)
17. Bournemouth – 7 points (GD -7)
18. Watford – 7 points (GD -11)
19. Crystal Palace – 4 points
20. Norwich City – 0 points

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Bit of a surprise that Leeds are not considered more.

I feel like the media don't really mess too much with Leeds.
Top 20 global club social media presence, and obnoxious at that, and it's their moment.
Better to ride the clickbait and tell them what they want to hear.
Nobody has talked about Bielsa's unsigned contract for over a month (according to a quick google search), which I find really odd.

Sometimes I wonder if Southgate/England called up Kalvin Phillips to take advantage of the positive social media it was guaranteed to bring their way.
(don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player... but an England call up? not sure)

I think we are one of the few fan-bases who, for obvious reasons, took a closer look at Leeds, the board, the manager, the signings, etc.
Once you get a look under the hood it's not so pretty.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Post lockdown league table:

1. Manchester City – 21 points (GD +27)
2. Manchester United – 21 points (GD +20)
3. Southampton – 18 points (GD +8)
4. Tottenham – 18 points (GD +7)
5. Chelsea – 18 points (GD +3)
6. Liverpool – 17 points
7. Arsenal – 16 points (GD +7)
8. Wolves – 16 points (GD +4)
9. Burnley – 15 points
10. West Ham – 12 points (GD +2)
11. Everton – 12 points (GD -3)
12. Brighton – 12 points (GD -7)
13. Sheffield United – 10 points
14. Newcastle United – 9 points (GD -4)
15. Leicester City – 9 points (GD -4)
16. Aston Villa – 9 points (GD -4)
17. Bournemouth – 7 points (GD -7)
18. Watford – 7 points (GD -11)
19. Crystal Palace – 4 points
20. Norwich City – 0 points

I awarded us an extra point! Still, 1.33 points per game is still 50 points, which is a solid mid-table points total. What's impressive from that post-lockdown table above is that 6 of our 9 games were against top half sides, including the best 3!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's one other strange thing about that prediction - Alzate as our breakthrough player. He was very much a regular (until his injury) last season and he's a full international for a top 10 ranked side. I think we can pretty much say he's made his breakthrough.

The obvious choice would have been White but Lamptey or Molumby would have been candidates - Alzate was a very strange call.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here