Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] o/t Town Populations Quiz

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Here are the correct answers.

View attachment 132324

Very surprising I think. Rank is where that town/city ranks in the full UK list.

Source is here. http://lovemytown.co.uk/populations/townstable1.asp Along with an explanation of where the data came from. It's an interesting analysis because they separate Poole from Bournemouth for example. So this is the best list of actual town/cities I've seen.

I knew that Bristol is a lot more populous than many people seem to think, but not more so than Manchester. Amazed too that what l thought to be little old Bournemouth, featured so high on the list.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
2011 Census data, so it will be updated this year in the 2021 Census.

Here are the correct answers.

View attachment 132324

Very surprising I think. Rank is where that town/city ranks in the full UK list.

Source is here. http://lovemytown.co.uk/populations/townstable1.asp Along with an explanation of where the data came from. It's an interesting analysis because they separate Poole from Bournemouth for example. So this is the best list of actual town/cities I've seen.

The figures in your answer are not official 2011 census data.

Leeds is 751.485
Bristol is 463.400

Just 2 examples from results looking at official figures, I didn’t check the others.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The figures in your answer are not official 2011 census data.

Leeds is 751.485
Bristol is 463.400

Just 2 examples from results looking at official figures, I didn’t check the others.

I think you are looking at the urban area that makes up Leeds. If you separate out the towns, as you can do if you have a lot of spare time, you will find that Lees is one of the cities that makes up that 700k or so. For example, the big number includes Kippax, which is actually a town in its own right with a population of c 10,000 (and is included in the full list at position 902) and Wetherby which has a population of around 11,000.

The list of towns included in the Leeds 751k include: Adel and Wharfedale, Alwoodley, Ardsley and Robin Hood, Armley, Beeston and Holbeck, Bramley and Stanningley, Burmantofts and Richmond Hill, Calverley and Farsley, Chapel Allerton, City and Hunslet, Cross Gates and Whinmoor, Farnley and Wortley, Garforth and Swillington, Gipton and Harehills, Guiseley and Rawdon, Harewood, Headingley, Horsforth, Hyde Park and Woodhouse, Killingbeck and Seacroft, Kippax and Methley, Kirkstall, Middleton Park, Moortown, Morley North, Morley South, Otley and Yeadon, Pudsey, Rothwell, Roundhay, Temple Newsam, Weetwood, Wetherby

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think you are looking at the urban area that makes up Leeds. If you separate out the towns, as you can do if you have a lot of spare time, you will find that Lees is one of the cities that makes up that 700k or so. For example, the big number includes Kippax, which is actually a town in its own right with a population of c 10,000 (and is included in the full list at position 902) and Wetherby which has a population of around 11,000.

The list of towns included in the Leeds 751k include: Adel and Wharfedale, Alwoodley, Ardsley and Robin Hood, Armley, Beeston and Holbeck, Bramley and Stanningley, Burmantofts and Richmond Hill, Calverley and Farsley, Chapel Allerton, City and Hunslet, Cross Gates and Whinmoor, Farnley and Wortley, Garforth and Swillington, Gipton and Harehills, Guiseley and Rawdon, Harewood, Headingley, Horsforth, Hyde Park and Woodhouse, Killingbeck and Seacroft, Kippax and Methley, Kirkstall, Middleton Park, Moortown, Morley North, Morley South, Otley and Yeadon, Pudsey, Rothwell, Roundhay, Temple Newsam, Weetwood, Wetherby

All I meant was that in your opening post you mentioned 2011 census data, I looked at 2011 census data for Leeds and results came back from Leeds City Council, it says on the official document “ The 2011 Census shows that there are 751,485 people living in Leeds”

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
All I meant was that in your opening post you mentioned 2011 census data, I looked at 2011 census data for Leeds and results came back from Leeds City Council, it says on the official document “ The 2011 Census shows that there are 751,485 people living in Leeds”

It does, but it goes on to say that Leeds is made up of all the towns that I listed, including Leeds itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here