Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Tax Advisors Please

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Ok. I let my property out and quite rightly declare all the income from this on my online self assessment forms. No problem with that but this year following the letting agents advice I had the front garden levelled and completely block paved. The garden was completely covered in old fashioned large paving slabs which were very uneven and obviously a trip hazard. Now although there is a large element of home improvement here it is also partly for safety reasons. Can I write all or part of the cost off against my tax bill. Hoping to get some free advice here thanks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The examples on there are really unhelpful: Replacing a few tiles is maintenance, but removing the roof and adding another story is a home improvement - no shit. What about replacing all the tiles, as they're all knackered - which is closer to what the OP has done.

Use your judgement. Personally, I'd say replacing an entire roof with like-for-like tiles is maintenance. Solid gold tiles then I'd say it's an improvement.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally, I'd say replacing an entire roof with like-for-like tiles is maintenance. Solid gold tiles then I'd say it's an improvement.
Yes, that sounds sensible. Hopefully the OP has sensibly maintained the garden, as opposed to going crazy (no pun intended) with it.

MACCAPACCA

Feb 18, 2009
Worthing
As an accountant I would always try to claim as much as possible as maintenance. It would need to be quite extensive and costly to really consider capital expenditure.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The examples on there are really unhelpful: Replacing a few tiles is maintenance, but removing the roof and adding another story is a home improvement - no shit. What about replacing all the tiles, as they're all knackered - which is closer to what the OP has done.

Use your judgement. Personally, I'd say replacing an entire roof with like-for-like tiles is maintenance. Solid gold tiles then I'd say it's an improvement.

He's not replacing the roof though ???

To thread starter - claim it all as repairs and maintenance. Its possible HMRC may ask you for a breakdown of the expenses inc. invoices if it is massively different to your usual expenses but IMO they should be claimable against income.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/index.htm

Above is all you really need to know, its what I use anyway as my accountant is never around when I need her.

I agree. This is creative accounting. try asking the company who did the work to invoice you for the remedial repairs undertaken. The worst outcome would be having to cough up the dosh if you were investigated (less than 1% chance) and could not convince the tax man that it was a repair. Go for it.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
My accountant told me to cost everything you can as an expenditure to the property both capital, repairs and every day running costs.

Give it a bash but be open and honest, I've always found with HMRC that they appreciate you being up front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here