Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Christmas Quiz 2023

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Just for fun, I've put together a 25 question quiz, consisting of Christmas themed questions, questions on things that have happened in 2023 and even a few football/Albion questions, as well as a tie-break (closest to the right answer wins) in the event it's needed.

To take part, send your answers to me in a Private Message by 12PM on Saturday 23rd December, after which I'll post the correct answers and the results in here. Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

1) How many points would the word ‘Christmas’ be worth in a game of Scrabble (assuming no double/triple words/letters)?

2) Which country won the 2023 Eurovision Song Contest?

3) “Mele Kalikemaka” means “Merry Christmas” in which language?

4) If your birthday is on Christmas Day, what is your Zodiac sign?

5) What specific type of food do an estimated 3.6 million Japanese families eat as their traditional Christmas Day dinner?

6) Which team did Brighton beat in the 3rd Round of the 2022/2023 FA Cup?

7) What is the only song to have been Christmas Number One in the UK twice for the same band/artist?

8) The 2023 edition of which sporting event was won by Denmark’s Jonas Vingegaard?

9) Which King of England was crowned on Christmas Day?

10) Which actor will make his full debut as Doctor Who in the 2023 Christmas Special?

11) On an Advent calendar with 24 doors, how many times does the number 1 appear?

12) Which team won the 2022/2023 Europa League?

13) How does Good King Wenceslas like his pizza?

14) In the classic Christmas movie Die Hard, what is the name of the character played by Alan Rickman?

15) Fill in the blank from the title of the 1953 Christmas song by Gayla Peevey: “I Want A BLANK For Christmas”

16) Which saint’s day falls on December 26th?

17) What was the score in Albion’s final league game of the 2022/2023 season?

18) What is the name of the sweet bread loaf traditionally eaten at Christmas in Italy?

19) In which tin of chocolates would you find the “Green Triangle” and the “Purple One”?

20) What is the highest grossing film of 2023 in the UK?

21) How many gifts have been given IN TOTAL by the end of the song “The Twelve Days of Christmas”?

22) Who scored Albion’s first goal of 2023?

23) What TV success was achieved by Matty Edgell in 2023?

24) The choir of which school had the 1980 UK Christmas Number One with “There’s No-One Quite Like Grandma”?

25) Sunderland did it in 1979, Villa did it in 1981. Who did it in 1980?

TIE BREAK: According to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, how many houses does Santa have to visit per second on Christmas Eve night?

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
:bounce:

Only three entries so far - still plenty of time though!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
OK, so first off the correct answers:

1) How many points would the word ‘Christmas’ be worth in a game of Scrabble (assuming no double/triple words/letters)? 16

2) Which country won the 2023 Eurovision Song Contest? Sweden

3) “Mele Kalikemaka” means “Merry Christmas” in which language? Hawaiian

4) If your birthday is on Christmas Day, what is your Zodiac sign? Capricorn

5) What specific type of food do an estimated 3.6 million Japanese families eat as their traditional Christmas Day dinner? Kentucky Fried Chicken

6) Which team did Brighton beat in the 3rd Round of the 2022/2023 FA Cup? Middlesbrough

7) What is the only song to have been Christmas Number One in the UK twice for the same band/artist? Bohemian Rhapsody (1975 and 1991)

8) The 2023 edition of which sporting event was won by Denmark’s Jonas Vingegaard? Tour de France

9) Which King of England was crowned on Christmas Day? William I (William the Conqueror)

10) Which actor will make his full debut as Doctor Who in the 2023 Christmas Special? Ncuti Gatwa

11) On an Advent calendar with 24 doors, how many times does the number 1 appear? 13

12) Which team won the 2022/2023 Europa League? Sevilla

13) How does Good King Wenceslas like his pizza? Deep pan, crisp and even

14) In the classic Christmas movie Die Hard, what is the name of the character played by Alan Rickman? Hans Gruber

15) Fill in the blank from the title of the 1953 Christmas song by Gayla Peevey: “I Want A BLANK For Christmas” Hippopotamus

16) Which saint’s day falls on December 26th? Saint Stephen

17) What was the score in Albion’s final league game of the 2022/2023 season? Aston Villa 2-1 Albion

18) What is the name of the sweet bread loaf traditionally eaten at Christmas in Italy? Panettone

19) In which tin of chocolates would you find the “Green Triangle” and the “Purple One”? Quality Street

20) What is the highest grossing film of 2023 in the UK? Barbie

21) How many gifts have been given IN TOTAL by the end of the song “The Twelve Days of Christmas”? 364

22) Who scored Albion’s first goal of 2023? Kaoru Mitome, in the 4-1 win over Everton

23) What TV success was achieved by Matty Edgell in 2023? He won the Great British Bake-Off

24) The choir of which school had the 1980 UK Christmas Number One with “There’s No-One Quite Like Grandma”? Saint Winifred's

25) Sunderland did it in 1979, Villa did it in 1981. Who did it in 1980? Trevor Brooking (scored the winning goal in the FA Cup Final - Alan Sunderland did it in 1979, Ricky Villa in 1981)

TIE BREAK: According to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, how many houses does Santa have to visit per second on Christmas Eve night? 822.6

And now, the part you all actually care about - the scores!

@super-seagulls - 6
@Harry Wilson's tackle - 11
@Guinness Boy -11
@Jeremiah - 12
@Garry Nelson's Left Foot - 14
@Diablo - 14
@jessiejames - 15
@Titanic - 15
@Bakero - 20
@Thunder Bolt - 22
@Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo - 23
@Midget -25

Congratulations to @Midget on a full house, and thank you to all of you for taking part. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year!

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Thanks Frutos and Merry Christmas. Looks like I am the Palace of the Christmas Quiz - just out of the relegation zone but everyone knows I should be in it ! 🎅:ffsparr:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK, so first off the correct answers:

And now, the part you all actually care about - the scores!

@super-seagulls - 6
@Harry Wilson's tackle - 11
@Guinness Boy -11
@Jeremiah - 12
@Garry Nelson's Left Foot - 14
@Diablo - 14
@jessiejames - 15
@Titanic - 15
@Bakero - 20
@Thunder Bolt - 22
@Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo - 23
@Midget -25

Congratulations to @Midget on a full house, and thank you to all of you for taking part. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year!
Top work. Yeah, same points as @Guinness Boy . Feels entirely appropriate :wink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don' think it's possible to get all those right, but having taken it retrospectively, I managed 9. I think the Quality Street question was the easiest (and the old Sunderland, Villa gag).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here