Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Notts County assistant sacked*for racism

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Notts County have sacked assistant head coach Maurice Ross after allegations that he made a racially insensitive comment to one of his players.

Ross, who was appointed in March, was sacked on Monday following the incident in Saturday's*draw at Altrincham.

The ex-Rangers defender apologised and called the remark "unacceptable".

"I made an ill-judged comment to a member of our playing staff which has led to my departure from the club," the 40-year-old said in a statement.

Let's keep him out of football...

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ooh, I do love a good 'anging me.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
no details available. His sacking may be merited, it may not.

Looking at his statement I'd imagine it very much was.

I deeply regret the comment, which is not a reflection of the type of person I am, and would like to place on record my apologies to the player in question for the upset I have caused.

While it was said in the heat of the moment with no malice intended, it was nevertheless unacceptable and I'm devastated by the impact it's caused.

I would also like to apologise to the club's board of directors, supporters and Ian Burchnall, all of whom I have enjoyed working with immensely.

The club have handled today's events impeccably and everyone at Meadow Lane has my full support for the rest of the season and beyond.

I will be taking some time to reflect on my actions and learn from this experience before continuing my coaching journey.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
no details available. His sacking may be merited, it may not. Hard to say.

We don't need to say. The club have taken the action they deem appropriate. The man involved appears to understand why his comment was wrong and will have to live with the consequences. No lives have been ruined or ended and I'm sure his career will resume soon enough based on his merit as a coach. He made a mistake, he has been punished. The world carries on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A welcome change for someone to admit to, and understand the consequences of, their actions.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have never understood racism and I dont think I ever will.
Its just a different coloured skin that's all, there are good and bad, nice and horrible people no matter what colour your skin is, to get racially abused before you have even met and spoken to them must be a horrible feeling.
Sermon over.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
I have never understood racism and I dont think I ever will.
Its just a different coloured skin that's all, there are good and bad, nice and horrible people no matter what colour your skin is, to get racially abused before you have even met and spoken to them must be a horrible feeling.
Sermon over.

Look at it like eggs. We get a dark one then a brownish one and a white one. When we crack one the same comes out.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We don't need to say. The club have taken the action they deem appropriate. The man involved appears to understand why his comment was wrong and will have to live with the consequences. No lives have been ruined or ended and I'm sure his career will resume soon enough based on his merit as a coach. He made a mistake, he has been punished. The world carries on.

Pretty much this really. What Maurice Ross said, was stupid in the extreme, and totally unacceptable, but reading his statement he does appear to be full of remorse for his actions, and if that really is the case, I would he happy for him to return to the game in the future.

Impossible to know exactly what it was he did do or say of course, but are we all squeaky clean in that department?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Apparently the coach was referring to a players speed or lack of it and thought he might be a 40 year old with a doctored African passport . Rude yes , racist - I’m not sure . I was expecting a lot worse than this when it was first reported .

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Apparently the coach was referring to a players speed or lack of it and thought he might be a 40 year old with a doctored African passport . Rude yes , racist - I’m not sure . I was expecting a lot worse than this when it was first reported .

If that was said, it's clearly racist because it feeds on stereotypes about being lazy, untruthful and untrustworthy.

On a societal basis that's often more damaging than simply using a racist word to describe someone.

I think that is where "racism" is often misunderstood.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Me too, but let's face it it doesn't take much to be considered racist nowadays, does it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here