Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not just us then - Swansea City expansion

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Swansea want to increase the size of their ground:

"Swansea City Football Club is planning to expand the capacity of the Liberty Stadium with 12,000 new seats. Swansea City Football Club, Liberty Stadium, Swansea, SA1 2FA"

There are a lot of very good, and pretty big stadiums in this country (UK), hope the bubble doesn't burst.

D

Deleted member 18477

swansea's stadium is a bowl... however i really like their bowl stadium. it's just a bit different to the other bowl stadiums around.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Swanseas is single tier all the way round isn't it ? Looks pretty dull and generic from what I've seen on the tellybox.

Definitely needs another tier or two.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
It looks class as you travel in on the train from London. Quite dramatic, on your left hand side going towards Swansea Station. A much better setting than the Vetch Field, which had the prison looming over it. And they've got these weird rapid bus thingies serving the stadium and the station, which look like trams. Sadly a ground I haven't visited yet (I did go to the Vetch), and it doesn't seem likely we'll get the chance for a while. Best wishes to them, I hope their plans succeed.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Swanseas is single tier all the way round isn't it ? Looks pretty dull and generic from what I've seen on the tellybox.

Definitely needs another tier or two.

1 tier but with the dividing walk way around it
Liberty_Stadium_interior_-_3.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
With a capacity of just over 20000, The Liberty was never going to be big enough in the long term. Swansea's population is similar to that of Brighton & Hove, and they're isolated from other teams geographically, so have a large catchment area like us. Good luck to them.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Good for them. They look to be reasonably established in the Premiership now so makes sense to capitalise on the demand while they are in the ascendant. 32k seems about right for their catchment area.

This highlights just how sensible it is for capacity of The Amex to be optimised now so we can take advantage immediately if we get to the Prem, plus isn't that shabby right now given that we have comfortably exceeded our previous maximum capacity. The only thing that will put that at risk is if the cost of tickets escalates too much.

Presumably Natterjack would fancy his chances of building the extension to The Liberty, would make a change from building for other Clubs.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I really like swansea at the moment, they seem to be doing things the right way and are playing some great football. Is there any chance we could steal some of there scouts? Michu for 2 million! best bit of business for a while i think.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Swansea's stadium has got too many exposed concrete panels, which detract from its aesthetic potential.

Presumably Natterjack would fancy his chances of building the extension to The Liberty, would make a change from building for other Clubs.

Not for me, I usually get involved with sub structure work not structural steel which primarily will be required for Swansea's ground expansion.

Hopefully getting involved in a new training ground somewhere in the South in the New Year! :wave:

After selling out for the past 2 seasons, it's high time that our ground had a make-over. Now it's got the green light after it looks as though we'll still be in The Prem (with all it's money) next season. The full development will require us sticking around in there for a couple of seasons to come though as the last thing anyone wants is to 'do a Wolves' and end up in The Championship with a half developed stadium that looks odd.

It still won't be a anywhere near as classy as The AMEX though

Swansea's stadium has got too many exposed concrete panels, which detract from its aesthetic potential.

Have to agree, but this season there's a lot more colourful advertising which brightens the place up.

Add to that the magnificent atmosphere created (it really does rock most games) and I think, although I'm biased, it's one hell of a ground on match day.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Have to agree, but this season there's a lot more colourful advertising which brightens the place up.

Add to that the magnificent atmosphere created (it really does rock most games) and I think, although I'm biased, it's one hell of a ground on match day.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ground, just need a few more banners etc. over some of the precast slabs to break up some of the grey :)

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
It's a much lower populated city (239k) than the Brighton conurbation (461k), and even with its surrounding towns, the population of 410k in total is a fraction of that of Sussex's 1.575m.

I genuinely cannot see there being the need for most PL games, and they have to compete with Rugby Union for the cash/attendance of sports fans.

It's a much lower populated city (239k) than the Brighton conurbation (461k), and even with its surrounding towns, the population of 410k in total is a fraction of that of Sussex's 1.575m.

I genuinely cannot see there being the need for most PL games, and they have to compete with Rugby Union for the cash/attendance of sports fans.

They've been getting an average crowd of 20,349 at league games this season. That's 99.2% of the 20,500 capacity. It's obvious that they could use a bigger stadium. If you're going to add more seats, it's worth thinking reasonably big.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

They are probably missing out on 5 to 10 thousand ticket sales every match. Several million pounds revenue a season. They'd be foolish not to consider expanding.

What yours figures do show is that if they can average around 30,000 if and when they expand with their lower population, then what could we get?

Ticket prices at Swansea ...

Category A games (Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs) - £45 Adults; £22.50 Concessions

Other league games - £35 Adults; £17.50 Concessions

FA Cup (R3 v Arsenal) - £30 Adults; £15 Concessions

Season tickets for 2013/14 went on sale this week:-

http://www.swanseacity.net/documents/st-poster58-456238.pdf

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here