Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] NHS records to be sold to third-parties

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I really think that this is part of the problem.
Of course the NHS has (and has had for a long time) partnerships with 'private' commercial providers, charities, other services such as Social Services etc who have a valid and necessary reason to access patient records, in order to provide care. The Horder Centre in Crowborough is just one of many many examples, the MRI Cenntre at Princess Royal Hospital is another, there are many more examples in Sussex and up and down the country.

However, if I have correctly disentangled the rather anodyne statements on the NHSI website (note the 'I' at the end), this latest initiative is not about sharing my or your medical record so that a partner agency can provide care.

It seems to be a constant uploadfing of data from every GP surgery to a single central database, that others can access. The issue is with the vague definition of 'other', and the uses that the data can be put to, and the ease with which that data can be 'de-anonymised'.

This is a separate issue to the entirely proper sharing of patient data in order to carry out an operation, assist recovery etc that you seem to be referring to.

I think - as I say, the lack of transparency is what is causing the confusion, in my view.

I wholly agree with everything in your very balanced and measured post. You rightly question presence and integrity of the controls that are/are not in place to protect the public.

The OP has so far only managed to sound like a tin hat wearing conspiracy theorist.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It seems to be a constant uploadfing of data from every GP surgery to a single central database, that others can access. The issue is with the vague definition of 'other', and the uses that the data can be put to, and the ease with which that data can be 'de-anonymised'.

This is a separate issue to the entirely proper sharing of patient data in order to carry out an operation, assist recovery etc that you seem to be referring to.

I think - as I say, the lack of transparency is what is causing the confusion, in my view.

its wouldnt be easy to de-anonymise, 3rd parties would have to go through process to have that requested and implemented. you dont share the data with 3rd parties in these arrangements, its not copied and given to them. they have access to the data through systems provided and controlled. see OPCRD, CPRD, THIN already existing services.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
People I know that work for the NHS are opting out so that should tell you all you need to know. When the Government and money are mentioned in the same breath, trust nothing.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
https://twitter.com/haggis_uk/status/1402960464800370694

I don’t think Hancock liked this line of questioning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

thinks its an indictment of our politics that question are made on some high profile company, for public consumption. the politicians dont really know what they are objecting to. didnt ask a question about the use of the data, assumed something about access and use instead.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here