Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New On-Line Payment Security

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Anyone else getting frustrated with the new on-line payment security with card payment being refused, so you have to work out what other payment method could be used.
Seems to me that it is restricting on-line purchases and making you use less secure payment options.

I could perhaps understand it if you were paying someone new, but if the payment is for someone who regularly appears on your credit card statement it seems overkill to me.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
It's very frustrating. Having to get a code sent then at times the transaction timing out before the code arrives is really annoying

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
On-Line security in general is becoming to much of a hindrance . Its one thing having multiple levels of security on financial sites and transactions, but I find that more and more sites are requiring more and more requirements.
It used to be that you needed a log in, and password and that was it, but over the years passwords have had to become more and more complicated, requiring frequent changes, not being able to reuse even parts of it, and needing capitals, numerals, special characters and necessitating them to be written down as its not possible to remember all of the different ones you need.
Then they added a secondary phrase or word needed after you have got past the password stage, and now they require a code they send to a phone, or email.

My bank app , now requires not only my log in details, and fingerprints but i had to do face recognition for a transaction of about £30 to a friend. Of course the light wasn't bright enough as it was at night and the app wouldn't recognise my ugly mug for about 5 mins

There comes a point where it all becomes more hassle than its worth. I find myself wanting a " yes i know my password isn't encrypted and coded and yes, I know i haven't given a dna specimen, and yes, I have forgotten my mothers best friends sisters aunts maiden name but I want to buy that £2.50 charging cable anyway so let me in" button

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Sorry to go against the grain but I don't have an issue with this extra small step to help prevent/reduce the amount of online fraud that takes place every year and ultimately costs us as customers.

I've been doing this for a little while now with my current account and credit card apps when making either an online purchase or a transfer of funds. I usually do the transaction on my laptop and just go to the app on my phone to tap yes it's me! It takes seconds.

I guess that anything new is always a pain to get used to ...

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Sorry to go against the grain but I don't have an issue with this extra small step to help prevent/reduce the amount of online fraud that takes place every year and ultimately costs us as customers.

I've been doing this for a little while now with my current account and credit card apps when making either an online purchase or a transfer of funds. I usually do the transaction on my laptop and just go to the app on my phone to tap yes it's me! It takes seconds.

I'm all for security, I've missed out on tickets to 2 events this week due to transactions timing out before I got code from my bank though

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

This. We'd all complain soon enough if a fraudster spent a few K on our credit cards and the bank didn't refund the cash, so you can accept that they want to minimise this as much as possible.

Online fraud is huge, and implementation of 2 factor authentication isn't a huge inconvenience in the process of buying stuff or doing online banking from the comfort of your own home.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
On-Line security in general is becoming to much of a hindrance . Its one thing having multiple levels of security on financial sites and transactions, but I find that more and more sites are requiring more and more requirements.
It used to be that you needed a log in, and password and that was it, but over the years passwords have had to become more and more complicated, requiring frequent changes, not being able to reuse even parts of it, and needing capitals, numerals, special characters and necessitating them to be written down as its not possible to remember all of the different ones you need.
Then they added a secondary phrase or word needed after you have got past the password stage, and now they require a code they send to a phone, or email.

My bank app , now requires not only my log in details, and fingerprints but i had to do face recognition for a transaction of about £30 to a friend. Of course the light wasn't bright enough as it was at night and the app wouldn't recognise my ugly mug for about 5 mins

There comes a point where it all becomes more hassle than its worth. I find myself wanting a " yes i know my password isn't encrypted and coded and yes, I know i haven't given a dna specimen, and yes, I have forgotten my mothers best friends sisters aunts maiden name but I want to buy that £2.50 charging cable anyway so let me in" button
Top rant. Agree with every word.

My other bugbear is that when your password (Uxz*&34jFg or something like that of course!) isn't accepted, and you ask for a new one, they send a code to your email - which never arrives (and no, it's not in junk mail either). So you try and set up a new account - and it comes back at you with 'We already have an account related to that email - please login'.

Grrr .........

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I cut my finger and put a plaster on it. Then couldn't work out how to log into my phone as I'd only used fingerprint before! Taking the plaster off didn't work as I had a cut right across my print.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Been on calls about this all morning. Sites that don't support two factor authentication are being/will be banned by certain card providers. The problem is, there are so many online payment sites that there aren't the resources available at the online payment companies - hence, we only just got a project manager after months of asking.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes, still waiting for three codes from yesterday*, had to phone credit card co and they, after heated exchange, well one way actually, let me buy £90's worth of tripe + for the dogs, a transaction I have been doing monthly for the last three years!!! * Wales signal not good but they said download an app ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here