Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] New-builds can be really shit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They have to give a 10 year guarantee so 11 years 🤣
We have a new build here, but the builder went bust, and after a protracted legal case and lots of shenanigans with our banks, the court and the builder’s financiers and a rich family in Hamburg and an estate agent who had also funded him we (the 5 buyers in in the apartment block) finally found a deal and bought the half finished construction site from the insolvency court. We then became property developers by default.

I would want to go through this again but it has been a fascinating time and we unearthed some shocking work and cut-corners from the builder. We had to redo significant chunks of the build.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
We have a new build here, but the builder went bust, and after a protracted legal case and lots of shenanigans with our banks, the court and the builder’s financiers and a rich family in Hamburg and an estate agent who had also funded him we (the 5 buyers in in the apartment block) finally found a deal and bought the half finished construction site from the insolvency court. We then became property developers by default.

I would want to go through this again but it has been a fascinating time and we unearthed some shocking work and cut-corners from the builder. We had to redo significant chunks of the build.
So you’ve been having shenanigans with a hamburger?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Every home ever built was once a new home. All buyers that come after the first owner are very reliant on that first owner sorting out the snagging. Some dont know what their doing.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
we bought a nearly new build 2 years ago. Touch wood - bar a bit of mastic missing from underneath a window - all the snagging was sorted already. My folks then bought a brand new one in the estate next door, and the level of care from the builders was and is really high - they fix snags same day.

Have seen the horror stories previously and was really wary of buying one, but having lived in a semi detached victorian previously - i've experienced way worse.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
As someone who bought a Crest Nicholson new build 4 years ago i would say never again !

Once they have your money they couldn't care less
We're in Crest. The care lasts for 2 years and then you're on your own. Luckily the only problem we have had is actually a 20 quid fix.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Every home ever built was once a new home. All buyers that come after the first owner are very reliant on that first owner sorting out the snagging. Some dont know what their doing.

Good point. The place I moved into was built in the 60s and has numerous owners before me. Some of the DIY disasters were very expensive to fix, some outright dangerous.

That said, if you bought a brand new car, you wouldn't expect any snags - so it really shouldn't be acceptable for a new home to have any at all either.

Home building needs better regulation - quality control should be impeccable. No excuses when they are going for the kind of money they go for.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Good point. The place I moved into was built in the 60s and has numerous owners before me. Some of the DIY disasters were very expensive to fix, some outright dangerous.

That said, if you bought a brand new car, you wouldn't expect any snags - so it really shouldn't be acceptable for a new home to have any at all either.

Home building needs better regulation - quality control should be impeccable. No excuses when they are going for the kind of money they go for.
In my experience most council hired building control don't really know what they are doing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some dont know which they’re to use either

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
True enough. My house is 200 years old next year (well, half of it is) and I had to relay the whole roof a few years back. ;)

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Home building needs better regulation - quality control should be impeccable.
No excuses when they are going for the kind of money they go for.
We're currently building a new home and receive regular visits from building control, warranty inspections and planning visits. I can only assume that inspections on big developments is somewhat less stringent than the ones we get.

For instance our first plumber laid all the first fix pipes directly on to the concrete floor before the insulation, underfloor heating and screed were installed. The warranty inspector took one look and essentially said that if we keep the pipes as fitted they wouldn't insure us!

Then the window fitters installed the French doors on the Juliette balcony upside down! We didn't notice this as we couldn't open them due to the scaffolding still being up. It was the building inspector who picked up on that.

Numerous minor things have been picked up thanks to the inspectors being thorough although I think the best safeguard has been being constantly on site watching the work being carried out.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
We're in Crest. The care lasts for 2 years and then you're on your own. Luckily the only problem we have had is actually a 20 quid fix.

Our biggest issue is their lies. Our house was the 1st built in the street so for 18 months we lived here as the street was built around us. Every day the house would literally shake as diggers and jcb etc went past. Cracks started to appear and we were continually told dont worry once we have finished the street we will fix and put it all right.

Absolute bollox

To this day we still have cracks in every room, cracks in the ceilings where the joists are. Cracks every where and they now refuse to fix as its out of the 2 year warranty.

Maybe we were unlucky as this all happened around covid year but we and lots more on the estate feel the same

Never again

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

regulation does not mean quality. there are literally volumes of building regs and this doesn't ensure quality. it means minimum approval compliance, much inspection concerns itself with structure and fittings you dont see, not the finish.

you do get snags with cars, they have build issues, recalls all the time. that is may be the difference, expectation the manufacture will fix it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here