Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Net spend stats

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
If we’re going to move to the next level and have this club ran properly, we need to aim to emulate the likes of Crystal Palace (2010 version) and we will be sustainable and successful.
I feel that the club is being run properly.

A quote from the same article:

The secret to that is not simply about crunching data; patience, vision, strategy and long-term thinking are also crucial. At Brighton, for example, a lot of time is spent on succession planning: if a key player or executive gets bought or poached, for example, who will step into their shoes? Succession plans for about 30 individuals at the club are regularly reviewed.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Many of those fees you quoted had add-ons, such that there was varied reporting of them. I think you've got the initial fee right for White and Burn, but my memory says that the starting fees were:
Biss 25m
Cucu 52/55m
Osti 4m
Maups 15m
In terms of what we've paid, many of the youngsters have had large fees. Off the top of my head (and I'm not sure of the starting date), these include the mooted (because undisclosed) figures of:
Moder c10m
Karbownik c5m
Caicedo c4m
Enciso c8m
Sarmiento c6m
Sima c8m
Adingra c8m
Buonanotte c10m
Also, we've bought Cucu c15m, Pervis c17m, Mwepu c20m, and no doubt others I've forgotten. All that lot amounts to more than 110m.
You’re probably right that it all adds up, but Moder, Karbownik, Caicedo were all signed before summer 2021.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is indeed very impressive, however it's quite a short time frame to take too much judgement - it's too early to tell whether the Cucurella/White transfers were exceptions or whether we can pull in the same amounts on a yearly basis.

I'd be interested in the same stats for the last 3 years, and last 5 years - and even more so to see what they are in the next 3 years.
Covering all our EPL years.

A689B19E-97E1-44D7-BF94-8438FAF03F4C.png

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Of course. When Brighton went up, Southampton and Crystal Palace were both already quite "established" in the PL and were past the "trying to rebuild a Championship top squad into a decent PL one"-phase which is usually means a few very costly couple of transfer windows.
Exactly. I want to see the ‘five years since promotion, adjusted for 2023 pounds’

I know the above is over a slightly longer period, but Net spend numbers in a given year are worthless. Liverpool would always bang on about being net spend kings. But that’s easy when you’ve invested all the money in prior years!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I feel that the club is being run properly.

A quote from the same article:

The secret to that is not simply about crunching data; patience, vision, strategy and long-term thinking are also crucial. At Brighton, for example, a lot of time is spent on succession planning: if a key player or executive gets bought or poached, for example, who will step into their shoes? Succession plans for about 30 individuals at the club are regularly reviewed.
You’re new here so I’ll let you off but try reading my post sarcastically 😉

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
The add ons.

With both Cucu and Biss struggling and their clubs not tearing up trees any ideas on what particular criteria is the money paid out on? I am sure the club are not basing budgets on it...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
In terms of transfer money in, we've also received a world record fee for a head coach and support staff. Reported as upwards of 20 mil

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly. I want to see the ‘five years since promotion, adjusted for 2023 pounds’

I know the above is over a slightly longer period, but Net spend numbers in a given year are worthless. Liverpool would always bang on about being net spend kings. But that’s easy when you’ve invested all the money in prior years!
Liverpool Football Club haven’t ever said anything about that.

Liverpool didn’t have a huge net spend a few years ago, which they’ve dined out on ever since. They simply don’t spend fortunes, net. They live on transfer sales income and true income from unconnected third parties.

The bottom line is that the owners haven’t put in money for fees and wages.

Whereas the owners of Arsenal, Fulham, Chelsea, ManC have all put in countless £100m’s, in a couple of cases, over £1b. To buy players the clubs would otherwise never have bought.

Last edited:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Liverpool Football Club haven’t said anything about that, ever.

Liverpool didn’t have a huge net spend a few years ago, which they’ve dined out on ever since. They simply don’t spend fortunes, net. They live on transfer sales income and true income from unconnected third parties.

The bottom line is that the owners haven’t put in money for fees and wages.

Whereas the owners of Arsenal, Fulham, Chelsea, ManC have all put in countless £100m’s, in a couple of cases, over £1b. To buy players the clubs would otherwise never have bought.
Sorry, I meant Liverpool fans. The clubs never say anything about any of this.

Chelsea, Man C fans etc don’t harp on about being bet spend kings because they absolutely pour money into the club. I’m just pointing out that if you have a huge value in your squad, you can manage your net spend efficiently by improving your expensive players, having them do a few good seasons at the pinnacle of the PL, and then sell for tens of millions more than you paid, allowing you to get the next £60m player and bank a ‘profit’ on that transaction in that year. Never mind you paid a load five years earlier.

Anyway, Liverpool obviously a much more sensible model than all the other clubs you’ve mentioned, so fair play to them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry, I meant Liverpool fans. The clubs never say anything about any of this.

Chelsea, Man C fans etc don’t harp on about being bet spend kings because they absolutely pour money into the club. I’m just pointing out that if you have a huge value in your squad, you can manage your net spend efficiently by improving your expensive players, having them do a few good seasons at the pinnacle of the PL, and then sell for tens of millions more than you paid, allowing you to get the next £60m player and bank a ‘profit’ on that transaction in that year. Never mind you paid a load five years earlier.

Anyway, Liverpool obviously a much more sensible model than all the other clubs you’ve mentioned, so fair play to them.
I reckon that only Manure, Liverpool and Spurs don’t have owners who put in vast amounts of money in, covering excess wages and fees. With Tony Bloom trying to get there.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here