Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Naughty, naughty Dale Stephens

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Burnley’s statement reads a bit like a opportunistic moment to sack a player who they don’t want anymore. We’ll see.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Errrm . . . because he isn't good enough? Has barely featured for Burnley in nearly two seasons with them. I've no idea when hist contract ends, but at 32 l certainlt can't see the club extending it.

A shame, l was one of the relative few who thought he did a good job in all of his years at the Albion.

He was superb for us.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Burnley’s statement reads a bit like a opportunistic moment to sack a player who they don’t want anymore. We’ll see.

Wouldnt it be a bit strange though since they just shrugged their shoulders re Barnes?

Anyway his contract is out in three months, not quite sure they are going to bother with the potential legal hassle of sacking him.

He has obviously played his last game for them though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
When they were first after him, he'd have been an excellent signing for them - a perfect fit.

But his athleticism really went downhill in his last year or so with us, and by the time they got their man, he was simply not physically up to the demands of playing in a two-man Burnley centre midfield. A really bad signing to be honest, possibly driven by ego - wanting to finally land their earlier target.[/

I was going to say that the possible reasons for him only appearing nine times in a Burnley shirt over two seasons were either . . .

He doesn't have the energy to play in a high tempo Burnley side, where speed and physicality is key, or at 32 his career is on the wane and he just isn't up to Premier League football any more.

Maybe both reasons apply! He was probably the right signing for them, but put pen to paper a couple of seasons too late.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Does every northern footballer live in Alderley Edge or was he just visiting to see what the real PL stars lifestyle was like?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Wouldnt it be a bit strange though since they just shrugged their shoulders re Barnes?

Anyway his contract is out in three months, not quite sure they are going to bother with the potential legal hassle of sacking him.

He has obviously played his last game for them though.
Yeah well you’re probably right. It just looked like a good excuse for Burnley to get rid. As for Barnes, he probably still has a future with them.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Stephens cannot be compared in any way to Ali J as a player.

His influence in getting us promoted and our nursery period in the PL was highly significant.

The reference is to the fact we chased and chased the player for years and then fail to play him once we had signed him.

Stephens is miles ahead in contribution to the Albion's progress over the years.

And yes Ali J was a disappointment but when he looked like he might do it i.e. around that Chelsea game he just wasn't played. On paper he was the sort of player we miss someone who is prepared to run at defences

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Dale was one of the worst offenders, in those last 3 games which lost us the title, of looking like he was going to puke on the pitch.

Not to take anything away from what he did for the rest of the season and the one before

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Just read he’s chosen to retire at 33 as he can’t find a club and concentrate on coaching. Seems too young for him to retire really, shame he couldn’t find a club at his level to carry on.

I was a never a fan of his in the PL but he was great for us in the Championship and to me gets legendary status along with every other member of that promotion side.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just read he’s chosen to retire at 33 as he can’t find a club and concentrate on coaching. Seems too young for him to retire really, shame he couldn’t find a club at his level to carry on.

I was a never a fan of his in the PL but he was great for us in the Championship and to me gets legendary status along with every other member of that promotion side.
I guess being banned from driving might affect his playing options.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
does seem young, but to be fair he’s earnt decent money, no doubt dropping down the leagues for a lot less isn’t really motivating. Plus I think he has a new baby with ex-Mrs el-Abd so probably doesn’t want to move far

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Agree, but he didn’t do a lot wrong in the PL either to be fair.

Him and Propper both did okay in the hardest league in the world, in a team that was always going to struggle under Hughton and initially Potter. We just needed to improve, same goes for Propper as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before we head off down the usual tired and undignified route, just a quick reminder:-

Without the likes of Stephens, Ryan, Propper and to a lesser extent Izquierdo et al, we absolutely do not get to Caicedo, Sanchez, Mac Allister, Mitoma.

Who in turn have us fans in touching distance of European football via The FA Cup AND the league.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Before we head off down the usual tired and undignified route, just a quick reminder:-

Without the likes of Stephens, Ryan, Propper and to a lesser extent Izquierdo et al, we absolutely do not get to Caicedo, Sanchez, Mac Allister, Mitoma.

Who in turn have us fans in touching distance of European football via The FA Cup AND the league.
This all day long

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here