Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] My kids' Albion highlights vs mine

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I first went to the Albion on Boxing Day 1989 as an excited 9-year old, for a dreadful 0-0 with Pompey. I absolutely loved it, and I was instantly hooked.

Until 2001, aged 19, my all-time Albion highlight was watching Dean Wilkins score a last minute free-kick against Ipswich to secure 6th spot in the 2nd tier. My first taste of success was winning the 4th tier under Micky Adams.

My sons are aged 9 & 7. Since their first games they have witnessed live:

4-0 complete humiliation of Man Utd
FA Cup semi final at Wembley
1-0 last minute winner against Liverpool in the FA cup
Qualifying for Europe at home to Southampton
Our first ever European game
A last minute winner against Marseille to win our Europa League group

And on TV:

3-0 battering of Liverpool
4-1 thumping of Chelsea after they stole our manager and club legend
2-0 wins at home and away to Ajax

My eldest has 10 more years before he is at the age I witnessed my first real success, which was in the 4th tier.

My God, we are going to have one seriously entitled generation of fans in the next decade or so.

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
My son is now 21 and has never experienced relegation and has basically been there for all the incredible moments in the last few years. Bloody unfair I tell you after I had a season ticket at Gillingham watching awful football in front of about 2k fans!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I first went to the Albion on Boxing Day 1989 as an excited 9-year old, for a dreadful 0-0 with Pompey. I absolutely loved it, and I was instantly hooked.

Until 2001, aged 19, my all-time Albion highlight was watching Dean Wilkins score a last minute free-kick against Ipswich to secure 6th spot in the 2nd tier. My first taste of success was winning the 4th tier under Micky Adams.

And on TV:

My eldest has 10 more years before he is at the age I witnessed my first real success, which was in the 4th tier.

My God, we are going to have one seriously entitled generation of fans in the next decade or so.
Innit

(except the Liverpool Cup game was 2-1)

My own lads are in their early 20s, and have had season tickets since 2006/07 at Withdean.

Your kids really ARE spoiled. At least mine had to watch a FEW years of turd, to help them appreciate what they have now!

My eldest lad's first ever live Albion game, was the 5-1 home defeat to Stoke, that Mark McGhee declared 'didn't matter'!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

And on TV:

1) You can add the 16-20 year olds in that too. Their 'bad' seasons are getting knocked out of the Championship playoffs. I'm a similar age to you...that 91 losing play off season was the absolute highlight of my first dozen or so years of supporting the Albion.

2) How did you only age ten years between 1989 and 2001?!

Jul 7, 2003
My son is now 21 and has never experienced relegation and has basically been there for all the incredible moments in the last few years. Bloody unfair I tell you after I had a season ticket at Gillingham watching awful football in front of about 2k fans!
My son is 23 - I think his only other bad experience has been having to watch the brief Hyypia era.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

And on TV:

Not to mention the atmosphere and surroundings they've watched the games in. Padded seats in a brand new stadium is a bit of a stretch from a ropy old north stand at the Goldstone. I often remind the Bobkin Jnrs (15 and 19) how INCREDIBLY lucky they are to be fans of the club at this time. Unbelievable.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I reminded my Albion mad 12 year old nephew last night how lucky he was watching all this.

He ignored me.
Really scary thing is it would be totally natural for very young fans to assume that this level of thing is the norm, and hence breed a certain level of innocent entitlement. Because they'd have absolutely nothing to compare it against other than some Old Man War Stories From Pre-History

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Innit

(except the Liverpool Cup game was 2-1)

My own lads are in their early 20s, and have had season tickets since 2006/07 at Withdean.

Your kids really ARE spoiled. At least mine had to watch a FEW years of turd, to help them appreciate what they have now!

My eldest lad's first ever live Albion game, was the 5-1 home defeat to Stoke, that Mark McGhee declared 'didn't matter'!
My eldest did at least have some kind of sensible introduction to being an Albion fan. His first game was the 0-5 to Bournemouth in Apr 19, and (partly due to Covid) the first time he saw us win was the 4-0 against Man Utd in May 22. So he did at least have a nice 3 YEAR period without seeing us win.

My youngest, well he can just piss off really. His first football match was watching England knock Germany out the Euros at Wembley, and he's basically just casually watched Brighton consistently dismantle some of the biggest clubs in the world ever since. It's ridiculous.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

And on TV:

Yep, mine are also 7 and 9 and I keep telling them they don’t know they’re born.

I feel like we should loan them out to follow some league one or two dross for a few seasons so they can earn their stripes before coming back to the Albion!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
What kids nowadays need for a reality check, is a tin fence with a river of piss flowing over their trainers. That's when you realise you can wait to go until you get out of the old North stand :facepalm:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yep, mine are also 7 and 9 and I keep telling them they don’t know they’re born.

I feel like we should loan them out to follow some league one or two dross for a few seasons so they can earn their stripes before coming back to the Albion!
Been trying to persuade mine to come to Haywards Heath Town for a while. Both turn their noses up at the idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here