Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Most wonderful pub outside Sussex, and why?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Glad it's upped its game, was a very ordinary pub 20 years ago!
I used to drink there 30 years ago and go back every now and again as I moved away many years ago.

It’s probably that I look back through rose tinted glasses, it was a big part of my teenage drinking days. Still, I think it’s a great pub.

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
1691002580210.png

The Blue Peter Inn Polperro in Cornwall. No fruit machines or WiFi . Just good beer, good food, and good company. Brilliant live music at the weekends. Best place to be in the middle of winter next to a roaring fire. Oh and btw our house is next door.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I always liked the Grove in Huddersfield when I went to Uni up there, many a night spent in there drinking Pilsner

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
The Olde Ship Inn. Seahouses Northumberland

So many brilliant pubs around the country. Vat and Fiddle Nottingham is wonderful.

But the Olde Ship stands out.
A main bar brim full of memorabilia and a table by a tiny window which looks out over the harbour and the Farne Islands. Plus some little side rooms all also full of seafaring memorabilia

Eight cask ales on tap and an outside deck with sea views.

Toppest pub in my humble opinion. 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

The Sun is always over the yardarm somewhere.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Cat & Fiddle on top of the wonderful Macclesfield / Buxton Road, absolute bikers pub which given nature of road is no surprise.

Neither going up or coming back are places to stack it!

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Cat & Fiddle on top of the wonderful Macclesfield / Buxton Road, absolute bikers pub which given nature of road is no surprise.

Neither going up or coming back are places to stack it!
Not been in the pub but I've had a couple of running out of talent moments on that road. Beer would've ended in binning it at the very least! Shudder!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
When on holiday we try and find some old places for a decent lunch. We love the Buddle Inn on the IOW...an old 16th C smugglers inn on the clifftops at Niton.

sunny-niton.jpg

Also used to enjoy the Quay Inn down at Wareham, and often stayed in the B&B above the pub...but I've just seen its now an ice cream and coffee bar 😏
The Old Granary Pub, opposite the Quay Inn, is lovely during the summer...watching the swans and boats lazing up and down the river.

f442b530-beda-4f3e-8009-4fde58de8395.jpg

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
View attachment 164423
The Blue Peter Inn Polperro in Cornwall. No fruit machines or WiFi . Just good beer, good food, and good company. Brilliant live music at the weekends. Best place to be in the middle of winter next to a roaring fire. Oh and btw our house is next door.
Found some wonderful little pubs in Cornwall on our travels over the years. Probably some of the best weve ever been to tbh.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
New owners recently so don't know what it's like post COVID but used to go a lot.
Has this great balance of a really high end kitchen and kind of dining area and then the little pub itself that despite the former has some right Somerset oddballs in. A couple of times I've had to stay in one the rooms (very nice) because I've carried away. Great cider choice. Really good cask.
The new owners haven't changed it much at all .. still retains that quirkyness....top venue.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The Ferryboat Inn at Dittisham. Especially off season. Slugger runs the place and his Dad the kitchen. Great food. Very laid back. And right on the River Dart.

The Greystones in Sheffield is the place to bump into Richard Hawley. It’s got a great live music room out back.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The Long Hall in Dublin. Yes it's a tourist trap, but its beautiful original Victorian interior, not touched since the 1880s, is amazing. And the Guinness really does taste better over there.

And Dublin was totally not what I expected. What a cool and vibrant city. It could easily be twinned with Brighton.

Attachments

• the-long-hall.png
    the-long-hall.png
    485 KB · Views: 27

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here