Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] More stressful?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I hate watching us on TV and always find it more stressful than being at the game.

Totally agree.

A far worse an experience on TV.

Not helped by the vast gap in playing resources between financially doped clubs and us. For the Albion to beat Chavski or ManC for example, we need all of; us to get everything right, a bit of luck and them to have an off night.

That’s why we literally never beat them.

But there is one great advantage, change channels and watch a good film or episodes of a boxset.

In the stadium live, yelling and chanting is cathartic.

seagull77

Aug 11, 2009
tbh, less stress than watching live. I have also lost a bit of my football mojo - no fans at stadiums, the crazy money in football, more important things in life.......rewind 7 months and I would have been up for it all

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I always find it much harder to watch on tele than to be at the game. The adrenaline is there but you're not part of a crowd to participate in the game in the same way.

But......I found watching games much more stressful under CH than I do now. Falling back and soaking up pressure when you're a goal ahead or hanging on for a point is agonising. We're much more likely to hold on to possession now and try to defend from the front.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So is it just me or is watching the Albion more stressful now than it used to be?

I'm pretty sure when I used to sit at Withdean watching us play Rochdale etc I was fairly calm.

Last night was awful. I get proper tense watching us now.

Maybe the games mean more? Maybe the public glare makes losing worse. I dunno what it is, but I don't enjoy it very much!

If not free on TV, I watch on dodgy stream, which is usually a few minutes behind real time.
I've learnt to turn my mobile onto silent, as I get up to date Sky Sports football notifications on everything from our games.
So like last night, Chelsea scored first, as I forgot to turn my phone volume off, it buzzed as we were doing so well and thought we'd scored.
Alas not.
So not to induce stress I watch the game as is with no interruptions.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I think the days of Bellotti and Archer were far worse. The club could have been liquidated - no home, no money, no playing assets. Nothing can beat April 1997 and Hereford for stress. The Gillingham years were more about depression and those God awful trips.

I think the club is as healthy now in every way as it has ever been.

Absolutely.

Nothing beats the stress of those days, when we started to believe the impossible could actually happen, and we could claw our way back from 12 or so points adrift at the foot of the entire league to survive.

And not just survive a relegation, but the demise of the club.

Games were so tense it was unbelievable at times. Will never be surpassed, will never be forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The 1-1 draw at Cambridge was absolute torture. They were safe in mid-table and we were so nervy. It was a case of settling for a point when they nearly snatched the win. Similar to the Hereford match a fortnight later.......

"Adrian Foster, through on goal, in the last minute, ohhhhhhh! Ormerod saves it! That was THE chance for Hereford!"

The most agonising thing I've ever listened to on the radio. There was a completely spooky hush after he missed it. Phew! :ohmy:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I definitely feel it's more stressful /frustrating (bar the mid-late 90s of course) knowing we're on the cusp of being a really decent outfit but not getting over the line in loads of games we could/should have got more from.

When we're just shit it's easier to handle cos I have little expectations going into games so anything is a bonus.

Do love watching us play some lovely lovely football against mega bucks teams though, like last night.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I normally watch the match in rational silence. Yet I did find myself uttering a 'FFS' when Werner was let in. It's getting to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here