Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mitrović versus Barnes

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
  1. ONLY the Captain should approach the referee and only then to get clarification of the issue. Everyone else shut up and stand back.
  2. If the referee wants to speak to anyone else about the issue then they should step forward and take their lumps.
  3. Any swearing directed at the referee an automatic red card.
Sounds familiar to anyone?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Can't argue with the fact that he should be getting a long ban for this. Where I do have sympathy with Fulham is that Bruno Fernandes should also have been serving a lengthy ban. We should 100% be throwing the book at players physically intimidating referees, I just wish it was consistently applied across all of the incidents.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I LOVE football. I LOVE playing football. yet, I have this constant fear in my head that my son (through osmosis) will probably also want to play football.

Shouldn't be a problem.

However, I simply cant' bare the thought of having to stand there, watching a referee on probably £15 being BERATED by idiotic parents and/or kids. The culture absolutely HAS to be stamped out. I appreciate Mitrovic didn't just shout in his face but also pushed him, but I would love to see the FA/PL give the refs a weekend where they say "From this weekend, it's zero tolerance. All clubs are aware, there's no excuses. Direct abuse to a ref and you're off".

Yes, it would be absolute carnage to begin with but so what? It was absolute carnage this morning when I told the 2 year old he wasn't taking 15 toy dinousaurs in his bag to nursery. He'll soon learn.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I very much doubt it. Probably a club legend, but he's basically just cost them an FA Cup semi final spot. They were bossing the game up until that point.
They were bossing the game up to that point, but I would argue that at the very moment Mitro blew his top, Fulham were already down to 10 men AND about to face a penalty. Even if he'd done what he should have done (accept the decision and not get in the ref's face), they would not have 'bossed the game' from there anyway as it would have been 1-1 and 10 vs 11.

OBVIOUSLY, him (and Silva) being sent off didn't help and I am in no way defending him for what he did, but it's a bit harsh to suggest that him going postal was the only thing that cost them the semi-final place.

With regards to the ban, I estimate between 4 and 6 games - either a token 1 match more than standard if they bottle it, or 5/6 to make a stronger point.

Really bad timing for Fulham though - not just because of the stage of the season and where they are, but also with all the recent focus on refereeing, respect etc. There's an outside chance that they will choose to make a proper example of him (slightly more likely because it's a Fulham player rather than one of the tawdry 6)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
@Paulie Gualtieri Complete mix. Some saying Mitro should be sold in the summer having cost us a trip to Wembley and probably many points. Others saying they're proud of passion & it's even a conspiracy against the 'little' clubs / Fulham (the ref gave some well didgy decisions against us at West Ham and also happened to be born in Manchester). Personally, I wasn't surprised Mitro and Silva responded like they did, Mitro shouldn't have nudged the ref, Willian was moving his hand towards his body to avoid it being a handball so that was harsh and Silva probably deserved a yellow.
Mitros inevitable ban will certainly mean we finish below Albion, which was probable anyway.

A lot pointing out that Klopp and others get away with constant haranguing of refs but it's tolerated.
I can't defend any of your lot in that game yesterday. All the on field reds were deserved IMHO (I didn't actually see what your manager did). What I will say though is that McGuire in particular was in the refs face most of the game and gets away with it, although he at least had the common sense not to lay a hand on the ref.

Week in week out players are in the officials faces and getting away with it, which just encourages loons likes Mitrovic to go one step further, like he did yesterday.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They were bossing the game up to that point, but I would argue that at the very moment Mitro blew his top, Fulham were already down to 10 men AND about to face a penalty. Even if he'd done what he should have done (accept the decision and not get in the ref's face), they would not have 'bossed the game' from there anyway as it would have been 1-1 and 10 vs 11.

OBVIOUSLY, him (and Silva) being sent off didn't help and I am in no way defending him for what he did, but it's a bit harsh to suggest that him going postal was the only thing that cost them the semi-final place.

With regards to the ban, I estimate between 4 and 6 games - either a token 1 match more than standard if they bottle it, or 5/6 to make a stronger point.

Really bad timing for Fulham though - not just because of the stage of the season and where they are, but also with all the recent focus on refereeing, respect etc. There's an outside chance that they will choose to make a proper example of him (slightly more likely because it's a Fulham player rather than one of the tawdry 6)
That's a fair point :thumbsup:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If we're making comparisons with the Ashley Barnes ban, it's worth noting that Barnes had literally just served a 3-match suspension for a straight red card - I'm fairly sure it was his first start. I think that that factor added 2 matches to the length of the ban, and putting his hands on the ref added 2 more.

Astounding loss of his head considering that we'd just lost CMS to a season-ending injury a few days earlier and a not-quite-fully-match-fit Ulloa was our only other recognised striker.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
On this point, (I agree with the rest of your post btw) it is harsh to say it cost them the semi-final place but I don't think it's harsh to say it cost them the chance to settle down after the goal and get back into the game on a mental level.

Fulham rely on Mitrovic to defend from the front, he's the main threat for a goal on the break, he holds up the ball and relieves pressure, and he is also a constant warning for United to not over-commit vs 10 men and leave themselves vulnerable to a counter. All of these attributes would have been vital to keeping Fulham in the tie and nicking a goal. Once he went, the best hope they had was holding out for a draw

I'm always slightly disappointed when a ref takes a step back while all these thick shits are yelling in his face. Send off half a dozen of them and the rules would swiftly change. Egg-chasing seems to work well with respect for the referee
100% this, once the ref starts walking backwards he loses authority.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
On this point, (I agree with the rest of your post btw) it is harsh to say it cost them the semi-final place but I don't think it's harsh to say it cost them the chance to settle down after the goal and get back into the game on a mental level.

Fulham rely on Mitrovic to defend from the front, he's the main threat for a goal on the break, he holds up the ball and relieves pressure, and he is also a constant warning for United to not over-commit vs 10 men and leave themselves vulnerable to a counter. All of these attributes would have been vital to keeping Fulham in the tie and nicking a goal. Once he went, the best hope they had was holding out for a draw
Yep, as did Silva being sent off.

Both need to demonstrate a bit more personal responsibility in that situation and realise that their team's chances will be better with them both around to help out!

Mitrovic out for however long is a big hit to their chance of finishing above us, so it's all good as far as I am concerned! :thumbsup:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I can't defend any of your lot in that game yesterday. All the on field reds were deserved IMHO (I didn't actually see what your manager did). What I will say though is that McGuire in particular was in the refs face most of the game and gets away with it, although he at least had the common sense not to lay a hand on the ref.

Week in week out players are in the officials faces and getting away with it, which just encourages loons likes Mitrovic to go one step further, like he did yesterday.
He approached the ref when he was in the VAR TV watching area, presumably trying to influence him. It sounded to me as though it was where it was rather than anything else.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
What no one is mentioning in regard to the Fernandez incident is that the Lino pushed him first which is why the tv ref said they’ll probably let him off so they did. And Fernandez wasn’t being so intimidating like mitro was yesterday

if I was a ref I’d make sure I didn’t move an inch from my standing position once I’d made a decision and if any player starts trying to intimidate me by pushing towards me in a in my face way that’s now become so commonplace I’d book them. Too many refs start backing off and walking away, they shouldn’t need to or feel intimidated enough to do so.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Probably true actually.
Defo.

Goes for most of these incidents. Jurgen Klopp (or anyone really) saying the ref is shite in a press conference... maybe gets a fine or a game in the stands. A referee holding a press conference saying that Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool are shit, never refereeing a game again. Some manager chasing down a referee in the player tunnel or ref dressing room to tell them that they're shite, probably results in a fine or one game ban. A referee chasing after a manager in the dressing rooms telling them how shit they and their team was... sacked immediately.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
@Paulie Gualtieri Complete mix. Some saying Mitro should be sold in the summer having cost us a trip to Wembley and probably many points. Others saying they're proud of passion & it's even a conspiracy against the 'little' clubs / Fulham (the ref gave some well didgy decisions against us at West Ham and also happened to be born in Manchester). Personally, I wasn't surprised Mitro and Silva responded like they did, Mitro shouldn't have nudged the ref, Willian was moving his hand towards his body to avoid it being a handball so that was harsh and Silva probably deserved a yellow.
Mitros inevitable ban will certainly mean we finish below Albion, which was probable anyway.

A lot pointing out that Klopp and others get away with constant haranguing of refs but it's tolerated.
There is no world where Willian was doing anything but deliberately trying to handle the ball. He is certainly not trying to get it out of the way. The Silva one seemed a touch harsh.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Most fans appreciate it when one of their players are doing it, because the fans also don't like the refs (ignoring the issue that it will be difficult to keep the sport going without referees). People here have been masturbating like caged monkeys to RDZ having a go at the refs, Fulham fans will likely do the same with Mitrovic.
Speak for yourself!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here