Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Mind the GAP or alternatively.....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You make some good points there for sure. I think you're right, the high street won't ever bounce back to where is was in its heyday. However, when recognised high street brands continue to go under (not so much Gap which is American, but BHS, Burtons/Dorothy Perkins, Woolworths and Debenhams) they leave enormous gaping holes in the high street that I am convinced will be sorely missed because the bigger stores attract people into the high street and thus into smaller shops.

The online levy idea is only going to work if people value the high street. If they don't, then an online levy is not a good idea. Personally I feel that we will miss the high street when it's turned into a desolate place with only the handful of crappy shops I talked about earlier. It is far too easy just to shrug and say "that's the market" as if it's already a fait acompli.

I do get what you are saying about missing what was there when it's gone. Maybe the outcome will not be the 'high street' as we know it now, but a different form of retail areas. If I look at Shoreham-by-Sea, there is a high street with the normal mix of charity shops, pubs, bookies, bike shop hairdressers/barbers and cafés and restaurants. Apart from Boots and a small Co-op, there are no big brands or legacy-type high street names. Typically, people will go there for one shop or service – whatever it might be – and then get out.

At the end of High Street is East Street – a pedestrianised bit with more cafés, nice outside areas and more 'different shops'. The atmosphere and 'vibe' between the two is vast. East Street is often buzzing, people browse through most of the shop windows and take their time – often stopping for a drink/food at one of the eateries. Compare that with High Street and people pull up in their car, pop into Boots, get what they want and fack off again. You can't make it more like East Street because a) there's no point replicating it and b) it's a different proposition. But change it (put more office-type businesses in, or even residential) and East Street – and, therefore, the town) benefits...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thank you Captain Obvious. Clearly purchasing habits have changed as a direct consequence of the fact that online shopping is cheaper because of fewer overheads. It can also be more convenient but not necessarily. If you need something today, you can't go online. If you need to try something on, you can't go online.

When there are no shops on the high street except charity shops, pound shops, mega supermarkets and betting shops, people will stop and think "why can't it be like it was?" and the reason for that is that no government has bothered to consider the consequences of letting Amazon get away with paying no tax, and the wider idea that IMO there really ought to be a levy on all online purchases that subsidises the high street, because if that doesn't happen then our high streets are going to be grim, soulless places to see.

Can't you (yet)? Amazon does same day delivery on most Prime stuff here now.
I know they don't do this at my Dad's in Uckfield yet - but they're building new warehouses all over the country as we speak.
Asda also launching a 1-hour delivery service next week.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Several times I have gone into a shop and the assistant has had to direct me to their web site for the offer/deal/stock which is pointless and must be demoralizing for the staff knowing they are pushing away cash which will ultimately lead to their demise. Eg Hollister, O2 and Robert Dyas.

I was annoyed as I wanted the item there and then and although the online experience was excellent each time It doesn't replace the buzz or getting something or the general experience.

A trip into town, shopping, eating etc is a pleasure but only if there are interesting things to look at.

The trouble is Amazon etc are just too good, massive range, cheap prices, almost instant delivery. I am in the market for a cheap garden projector - sub £200. lots and lots on Amazon but I wouldn't even know where to go in town, Richer sounds have expensive ones, PC world mostly has stock online (and expensive) so that's more money into that behemoth.

Rents and rates need to drop, parking/access cheaper but I cant see that happening anytime soon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't you (yet)? Amazon does same day delivery on most Prime stuff here now.
I know they don't do this at my Dad's in Uckfield yet - but they're building new warehouses all over the country as we speak.
Asda also launching a 1-hour delivery service next week.

Yes, if you live in big city centres it's possible but not for the rest (most) of us. I actually ran out of something today and I need to go to the shop. I did check whether it was possible on same day delivery but, even though I live in B&H (a reasonably big city), Weezy, Getir and Prime couldn't do it

Same day delivery may become widespread but I doubt very much whether it will even cover half the country - the economics just don't make sense

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Clothes shopping is terrible online.
I needed a new suit a few months back and it took me a week of ordering and returning three different sizes of jacket and trousers before I got a suit that fitted.
It would have taken about 30 minutes in the shop.
It also made me wonder how often all these clothes travel backwards and forwards between the retailer and peoples houses which can't be that good for them.

I had the same issue with a pair of shoes.
The first ones I ordered look nothing like the picture so we're returned,I wouldn't even have considered them if I had seen them in the shop but they did give me an idea of size for the other pair I ordered.
The other pair were much better but unfortunately the sizing was completely different to the previous ones so I had to send these back and get another pair the right size.
This pair then turned up with a slight scuff on the front which I'm not surprised at with all the stock traveling non stop between peoples houses.
I wouldn't have accepted the scuff in a shop but gave up in the end.

It did feel like after a whole week of hassle I've paid for a new suit but actually got a used suit.
I wonder how many people have tried my suit on and sent it back.

It's just much easier where clothes are concerned to visit a shop,choose an item,try it on,check for defects,and purchase something new off the shelf rather than an item that's been shipped to and tried on in hundreds of homes in the area.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I buy clothes, shoes etc without the need to try them on.

Order online, you don't change much in size in your later years. If it doesn't fit, send it back.

Much better and easier than trains/parking/pushing/shoving/queues/noise etc etc.

Indeed. Don't think I've been in a supermarket for about three years now.

Given the number of hours you spend on here every day that didn't come as a complete surprise :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Were you aware of my current physical condition and situation, I would understand you being rude.

I simply put this down to you being stupid.

I know absolutely nothing about you apart from what you post on here. But from that I deduce that maybe you shouldn't spend so much of your time trying to wind up strangers on an internet forum, if you are easily upset yourself

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
[MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] and [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] - please take this to PMs if you wish to carry on. Thanks.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
[MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] and [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] - please take this to PMs if you wish to carry on. Thanks.

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if this was a Paul valley situation!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here