Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Milton Keynes?

Camicus

Or you could look at somewhere like Flitwick, Ampthill or surrounding villages. About a 20 minute drive from MK and a train direct from Flitwick to Brighton.

Amptill and Flitwick really are shitholes in fact they are the pimple of the arse of the country Bedfordshuire towns are awful

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I went to university in Buckingham, so MK was my local town for shopping other than Buckingham, which had some good independent shops, but was a bit of a Lewes: you needed to go to MK for anything else, as with Brighton in Lewes's case. I'm biased: I did a Masters degree, which I finished this summer, again with Buckingham, though based in London. On the few occasions I visited, I felt homesick for the town. As other posters have said, you have no need to live in Milton Keynes, as you will never be much of a drive away if you choose one of the nearby villages or towns. Other than Buckingham, if you've got a decent budget, I'd go for Thornborough, midway between Buckingham and Bletchley, and with a superb dining pub, the Lone Tree. If you want to live in Milton Keynes, though, I'd avoid the local authority estates, which range from the okay, through to rather rough. In the former category I'd place Oldbrook and some of the northern estates like Galley Hill and Heelands, plus the outskirts of Bletchley - Denbigh, Whaddon, etc. In the latter category, any of the estates in the Woughton ward, and most of those in the Campbell Park ward. The modern estates are fine, just not very interesting unless you're into modern housing.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Amptill and Flitwick really are shitholes in fact they are the pimple of the arse of the country Bedfordshuire towns are awful

I suppose it depends what you're after. I've been in Flitwick for about 10 years now and don't find it particularly offensive. Granted it is a bit of a commuter town but it's only a few minutes out into the countryside for some good running and cycling routes. There are some nicer places around, such as Woburn, but they don't have the benefit of a train station and a direct line into the centre of London (and Brighton)

Stumpy Tim

I went to college in MK, but lived in a village just outside Buckingham. There are lots of nice parts outside MK itself, and MK is useful for shopping etc. I certainly wouldn't rule out moving to that part of the world based on.MKs reputation

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I've not really been into MK except for visiting either IKEA or the Xscape centre (and the local theater, which is run by the same group who run the Theater Royal in Brighton so shares the same shows). Yes, the area is a bit identikit with retail centres featuring the usual bars and restaurants, but whenever I've been there it's been quite a nice atmosphere and quite professional. Whilst the roundabout system there is a bit confusing at first, it's generally very quick and easy for getting around once you get to know where you're going. What I would say is that you shouldn't just go by reputation - there are a lot of nice villages around the outskirts, and plenty of countryside. Property is cheaper, too. I sold my 2 bedroom ground floor flat in Burgess Hill for £149k, and a couple of years later purchased a 3-bedroom semi in a nice area of Luton (Wigmore) for £157k.

Also, from MK, it's not too far (30 mins) across to Bedford for the 2hr direct train to Brighton - or you can just do MK to Brighton and change at Clapham. My local tourist information (in Luton, ha) provide a FCC-only daypass to Brighton for £16 return.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Anyone who likes to disparage MK has never been there. The centre is just that.... a shopping centre... but the thing that makes MK so lovely to live is that it really is just a collection of small country villages and towns around the shopping centre. My parents live around Woburn Sands, Aspley Guise. Its a fifteen minute drive to MK central and it is very beautiful place to live. They walk out their back door and they are in the forests.

Its not Sussex.... but it could be the next best thing.

The onyl place to avoid is Bletchley which modst MKers would like to disown. Bletchley = Crawley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here