Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Middlesex CCC v Sussex CCC, Radlett, Bob Willis Trophy, 22-25 August 2020***

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fair point. This strategy is beginning to look unsustainable. It's would be interesting to see the club's books.

It's also a strategy that brings little success - when did we last win a competition? I can't remember - eight years ago?

If we're concentrating on L/O cricket, then surely we should be better at it

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Dont understand that comment.
We employed highest profile and should think expensive Coach,CEO and we also have a Director of cricket. We have after coaches 3 year tenure ended up with 4 day side with 3 out of first 4 batters averaging about 20 and 2 seamers who are other county castoffs. Interesting comparing us to other smaller clubs.

Only paid Gillespie for 6 months each year...?
Rob Andrew probably on relatively modest package for a CEO. Doing it because he likes cricket and Sussex. Lucky to have him.
Ditto Keith Greenfield. Perfect for role bridging professional and recreational game in Sussex. Not expensive compared to counterparts with same job title.

Sussex punched above long term traditional weight due to Spen Cama money - buying Chris Adams and Mushy - timed well to coincide with emergence of Peter Moores as a great coach able to bring on other players and establish a ten year dynasty... unfortunately those days are gone and now we have nothing like the spending power of the “top ten” counties...

Has Gillespie’s tenure been disappointing? Yes, a bit. The run to T20 Finals day was very exciting and that team were brilliant at times. But, 4 day stuff has not been good and the squad he leaves behind does not seem to have been made stronger.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Only paid Gillespie for 6 months each year...?
Rob Andrew probably on relatively modest package for a CEO. Doing it because he likes cricket and Sussex. Lucky to have him.
Ditto Keith Greenfield. Perfect for role bridging professional and recreational game in Sussex. Not expensive compared to counterparts with same job title.

Sussex punched above long term traditional weight due to Spen Cama money - buying Chris Adams and Mushy - timed well to coincide with emergence of Peter Moores as a great coach able to bring on other players and establish a ten year dynasty... unfortunately those days are gone and now we have nothing like the spending power of the “top ten” counties...

Has Gillespie’s tenure been disappointing? Yes, a bit. The run to T20 Finals day was very exciting and that team were brilliant at times. But, 4 day stuff has not been good and the squad he leaves behind does not seem to have been made stronger.

You are so wrong on many points but great for Sussex they have supporters with rose coloured specs

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You are so wrong on many points but great for Sussex they have supporters with rose coloured specs

Please elucidate. The views of more critical supporters are often very helpful.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Are you sure about this? Nothing, either reputationally or factually indicates that Rob Andrew would do anything for a 'modest' salary or because he 'loves' anything. I struggle to think that CEO of Sussex cricket would be a position that falls outside of that.....

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Are you sure about this? Nothing, either reputationally or factually indicates that Rob Andrew would do anything for a 'modest' salary or because he 'loves' anything. I struggle to think that CEO of Sussex cricket would be a position that falls outside of that.....
Yeah I was going to ask about this. I've never heard any reference to that before

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Fairly sure. Don't understand the "reputationally" sneer either. He came to speak at our cricket club dinner and couldn't have been more friendly and generous. Very down to earth and with very obviously genuine enthusiasm for helping cricket in Sussex. Maybe he has changed since you knew him? It does happen.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

We're not a rich club but we're not one of the poorest either. Who are these top ten? Middlesex, Surrey, Warwickshire, Nottinghamshire and Lancashire certainly are but who are the others? Yorkshire maybe, but they're £18m in debt and need to service that. Durham had points deducted because of their financial difficulties. Glamorgan struggle to attract players (and keep them), the same as Gloucester, Derby and Northampton.

We're a middle tier club and should cut our cloth accordingly

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We're not a rich club but we're not one of the poorest either. Who are these top ten? Middlesex, Surrey, Warwickshire, Nottinghamshire and Lancashire certainly are but who are the others? Yorkshire maybe, but they're £18m in debt and need to service that. Durham had points deducted because of their financial difficulties. Glamorgan struggle to attract players (and keep them), the same as Gloucester, Derby and Northampton.

We're a middle tier club and should cut our cloth accordingly
I wouldn't disagree with your concluding remark.

Impossible to be definitive about who the big counties are... my "top 10" was arbitrary and I agree probably overstated the number of clubs significantly better off than Sussex...

Historically the biggest 8 are Yorkshire, Surrey, Middlesex, Lancashire, Essex, Warwickshire, Kent and Notts. With the possible exception of Kent, I'd expect each of these to endure and continue to present tough competition for Sussex in the medium term.

Hampshire and Somerset are two further counties with modern day infrastructure and apparent earning potential ahead of Sussex.

Durham and Glamorgan have big grounds but are not well off currently.

Sussex are an unusual case having been so firmly in the drongo section until 2003 but then benefiting from the Cama legacy which enabled improvement on all fronts. Taking everything into account I would say we seem to have some things in common with the remaining counties which are Derbyshire, Northants, Worcestershire, Leicestershire and Gloucestershire - but we are also now better off in some ways...

And so I agree that we are in some sort of "middle" category. The T20 Final and third place finish in Div 2 two years ago was definitely very acceptable. Last year we finished top of the T20 Southern Division losing only 3 games out of 12 completed but did rubbish in the 4 day competition...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here